Vonoprazan: A Novel and Potent Alternative in the Treatment of Acid-Related Diseases
Although proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) have been used widely, acid-related diseases are still associated with a huge burden on the health care system. Recently, the efficacy and safety of a new acid suppressant named vonoprazan in the treatment of acid-related diseases have been evaluated by a series of studies. As a novel potassium-competitive acid blocker, vonoprazan may provide reversible acid suppression by preventing K+ from binding to gastric H+/K+-ATPase. It has been clinically used for the short-term treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), peptic ulcer disease and Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection in Japan. The healing rate of GERD and gastric ulcers by vonoprazan is more than 95 and 90%, respectively; also, it is effective in curing PPI-resistant GERD. It increases H. pylori eradication rate to more than 88% as part of both first-line and second-line therapy. It is also effective in the eradication of clarithromycin-resistant H. pylori strains. All of these short-term studies show vonoprazan is safe and well-tolerated. As a safe and effective acid inhibitor, vonoprazan might be a novel alternative in the treatment of acid-related diseases.
KeywordsVonoprazan GERD Peptic ulcers H. pylori eradication Acid inhibitor
No financial support was received for this work from any company. This study was supported by the National Nature Science Foundation of China (no. 81330012).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
No conflict of interest or financial ties to disclose.
- 14.Shin JM, Inatomi N, Munson K, et al. Characterization of a novel potassium-competitive acid blocker of the gastric H, K-ATPase, 1-[5-(2-Fluorophenyl)-1-(pyridin-3-ylsulfonyl)-1H-pyrrol-3-yl]-N-methylmethanamine monofumarate (TAK-438). J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2011;339:412–420.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 15.Hori Y, Imanishi A, Matsukawa J, et al. 1-[5-(2-Fluorophenyl)-1-(pyridin-3-ylsulfonyl)-1H-pyrrol-3-yl]-N-methylmethanamine monofumarate (TAK-438), a novel and potent potassium-competitive acid blocker for the treatment of acid-related diseases. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2010;335:231–238.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Jenkins H, Sakurai Y, Nishimura A, et al. Randomised clinical trial: safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of repeated doses of TAK-438 (vonoprazan), a novel potassium-competitive acid blocker, in healthy male subjects. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2015;41:636–648.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 25.Iwakiri K, Umegaki E, Hiramatsu N, et al. Su1119 A Phase 3, randomized, double-blind, multicenter study to evaluate the dose-response relationships of acid-inhibitory effect of vonoprazan (20 mg, 40 mg) in patients with proton pump inhibitor-resistant erosive esophagitis [Abstract]. Gastroenterology. 2016;150:S475–S475.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Hiroyuki K, Hiroya U, Akihito N, et al. # 1505 Vonoprazan versus rabeprazole for the healing effect of gastric ulcers after endoscopic submucosal dissection: a prospective randomized controlled trial. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016;31:291.Google Scholar
- 43.Murakami K, Sakurai Y, Shiino M, Funao N, Nishinura A, Asaka M. Vonoprazan, a novel potassium-competitive acid blocker, as a component of first-line and second-line triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication: a phase III, randomised, double-blind study. Gut. 2016;65:1439–1446.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 47.Yamasaki T, Owari M, Amano Y, et al. High dose CAM with vonoprazan (P-CAB) plus AMX regimen is the strongest H. pylori eradication triple therapy regimens to improve success rate of CAM based regimens. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016;31:61.Google Scholar
- 49.Furuta T, Shu S, Ichikawa H, et al. Tu1333 dual therapy with vonoprazan and amoxicillin is as effective as standard PPI-based triple therapy with amoxicillin and clarithromycin or metronidazole in Japan [Abstract]. Gastroenterology. 2016;150:S877–S877.Google Scholar
- 50.Sato Yu, Yamamoto K, Onishi Y, et al. Efficacy of the vonoprazan (VPZ)-based second line therapy for Helicobacter pylori (HP) eradication. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016;31:67.Google Scholar
- 55.Dong SQ, Singh TP, Wei X, Yao H, Wang HL. A Japanese population-based meta-analysis of vonoprazan versus PPI for Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy: is superiority an illusion? Helicobacter. 2017;22. https://doi.org/10.1111/hel.12438.