Efficacy of Vonoprazan-Based Triple Therapy for Helicobacter pylori Eradication: A Multicenter Study and a Review of the Literature
- 411 Downloads
Eradication therapies for Helicobacter pylori infection are advancing as new acid inhibitory reagents approved. The aim of this study was to assess the efficacy and safety of vonoprazan-based triple treatment.
Materials and Methods
Triple therapy with vonoprazan and two antibiotics (amoxicillin and clarithromycin or metronidazole) received focus in this analysis. We performed a multicenter retrospective study of patients who received vonoprazan-based eradication therapy between February 2015 and February 2016 and conducted a review of the literature.
The eradication rate among the 799 patients in our multicenter study was 94.4% (95% confidence interval [CI] 92.6–96.2%) in the per-protocol analysis for first-line treatment (with vonoprazan 20 mg, amoxicillin 750 mg, and clarithromycin 200 or 400 mg, twice a day for 7 days) and 97.1% (95% CI 93.0–101.1%) for second-line treatment (with vonoprazan 20 mg, amoxicillin 750 mg, and metronidazole 250 mg, twice a day for 7 days). The overall incidence of adverse events was 4.4% in an intention-to-treat analysis with no patients hospitalized. In a literature review, six reports, in which 1380 patients received vonoprazan-based first-line eradication therapy, were included and were all reported by Japanese researchers. The eradication success rates in per-protocol analysis were between 85 and 93%, which was roughly the same among the studies.
Vonoprazan-based triple therapy was effective and safe for Helicobacter pylori eradication in real-world experience, confirmed by a multicenter study and a review of the pertinent literature.
KeywordsTriple therapy Vonoprazan P-CAB
- 3.Japanese Society for Helicobacter Research. Guidelines for the management of Helicobacter pylori infection in Japan: 2016 revised edition. (Japanese article) Tokyo Japan: Sentan-igakusha; 2016: 46-58.Google Scholar
- 5.Murakami K, Sakurai Y, Shiino M, Funao N, Nishimura A, Asaka M. Vonoprazan, a novel potassium-competitive acid blocker, as a component of first-line and second-line triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication: a phase III, randomised, double-blind study. Gut. 2016;65:1439–1446.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 18.Malfertheiner P, Megraud F, O’Morain CA, et al.; European Helicobacter Study Group. Management of Helicobacter pylori infection–the maastricht IV/florence consensus report. Gut 2012; 61: 646–664.Google Scholar
- 20.Katayama Y, Toyoda K, Kusano Y, et al. Efficacy of vonoprazan-based second-line Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy in patients for whom vonoprazan-based first-line treatment failed. Gut 2016; doi:10.1136/gutjnl-2016-312028.
- 23.Yeo YH, Shiu SI, Ho HJ, et al.; Taiwan Gastrointestinal Disease and Helicobacter Consortium. First-line Helicobacter pylori eradication therapies in countries with high and low clarithromycin resistance: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. Gut. 2016; doi:10.1136/gutjnl-2016-311868.