Effect of Vonoprazan, a Potassium-Competitive Acid Blocker, on the 13C-Urea Breath Test in Helicobacter pylori-Positive Patients
- 615 Downloads
Background and Aim
Vonoprazan (VPZ) is a new oral potassium-competitive acid blocker that has recently become available. The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of VPZ on the urease activity of H. pylori as measured by the 13C-urea breath test (13C-UBT).
Patients and Methods
A total of 60 patients (26 men, 34 women; mean age 53.2 ± 13.6 years) who were diagnosed as H. pylori-positive were recruited. The patients were randomly allocated to three treatment groups: lansoprazole (LPZ) 30 mg (n = 20), VPZ 20 mg (n = 20) once daily for 3 weeks, or the control group (n = 20). The 13C-UBT was carried out at baseline and after 3 weeks of treatment, and the baseline and after treatment results then compared. Δ13C‰ ≥ 2.5‰ was considered H. pylori-positive.
Four patients failed to complete the medication and were omitted from the analysis; data from the LPZ group (n = 18), VPZ group (n = 18), and control group (n = 20) were analyzed. The control group showed no significant change in 13C-UBT data between baseline and the completion of 3-week treatment (baseline: 26.6 ± 23.0‰, completion: 21.1 ± 13.1‰). The 13C-UBT data at week 3 were significantly decreased in both the VPZ group (baseline: 32.8 ± 22.7‰, completion: 7.6 ± 9.2‰, p = 0.0002) and the LPZ group (baseline: 41.8 ± 33.4‰; completion: 9.6 ± 8.8‰, p = 0.0006) compared to baseline.
VPZ treatment reduced the value of UBT, warning that UBT for patients with VPZ treatment should be evaluated carefully.
KeywordsHelicobacter pylori Urea breath test Vonoprazan
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
- 13.Jenkins H, Sakurai Y, Nishimura A, et al. Randomised clinical trial: safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of repeated doses of TAK-438 (vonoprazan), a novel potassium-competitive acid blocker, in healthy male subjects. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2015;41:636–648.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 14.Ohara S, Kato M, Saito M, Fukuda S, et al. Comparison between a new 13C-urea breath test, using a film-coated tablet, and the conventional 13C-urea breath test for the detection of Helicobacter pylori infection. J Gastroenterol. 2002;39:621–628.Google Scholar
- 29.Shin JM, Inatomi N, Munson K, et al. Characterization of a novel potassium-competitive acid blocker of the gastric H, K-ATPase, 1-[5-(2-fluorophenyl)-1-(pyridin-3-ylsulfonyl)-1H-pyrrol-3-yl]-N-methylmethanamine monofumarate (TAK-438). J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2011;339:412–420.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 31.Hori Y, Imanishi A, Matsukawa J, et al. 1-[5-(2-Fluorophenyl)-1-(pyridin-3-ylsulfonyl)-1H-pyrrol-3-yl]-N-methylmethanamine monofumarate (TAK-438), a novel and potent potassium-competitive acid blocker for the treatment of acid-related diseases. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2010;335:231–238.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 33.Murakami K, Sakurai Y, Shiino M, et al. Vonoprazan, a novel potassium-competitive acid blocker, as a component of first-line and second-line triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication: a phase III, randomised, double-blind study. Gut. Epub. 03/02/2016.Google Scholar