Prevalence of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Economy
- 774 Downloads
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is a growing health issue around the world.
This study is to investigate whether adult prevalence of NAFLD correlates with national economic status.
Literature search on PubMed database was conducted to identify eligible records fully published before September 2014. Gross national income (GNI) per capita was chosen to evaluate national economic status. Pearson coefficient, linear regression, and unpaired t test were performed in the statistical analyses.
Twenty-one population-based surveys (seven in East Asia, five in South Asia, three in Middle East, and six in Europe) were included. The pooled prevalence of NAFLD was 24.24 %, and the global prevalence was positively correlated with GNI per capita (r = 0.4782, P = 0.0283). Europe witnessed a higher prevalence (28.04 %) than Middle East (12.95 %, P = 0.0092) and East Asia (19.24 %, P = 0.0083). Male presented a higher prevalence than female (P = 0.019), especially in Europe (P = 0.0132) and in Caucasians (P = 0.0383). Furthermore, male prevalence and rural prevalence individually were correlated with economic status (r = 0.5725, P = 0.0257 and r = 0.7389, P = 0.0060). Lastly, the urban (23.93 %) witnessed a higher prevalence than the rural or the urban + rural (12.65 %, P = 0.0141) in the countries of GNI per capita <$10,000.
This study suggested that countries with higher economic status tend to present a higher prevalence of NAFLD. It is believed to provide a distinctive epidemiologic perspective to global situation of NAFLD.
KeywordsNonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) Prevalence Epidemiology Gross national income (GNI) per capita Economy
Conflict of interest
- 8.Wagenknecht LE, Scherzinger AL, Stamm ER, et al. Correlates and heritability of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in a minority cohort. Obesity (Silver Spring, MD). 2009;17:1240–1246.Google Scholar
- 15.WorldBank. GNI per capita, Atlas method (current US$). http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GNP.PCAP.CD.
- 16.Wikipedia. List of countries by GNI (nominal, Atlas method) per capita. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GNI_(nominal,_Atlas_method)_per_capita.
- 26.Wikipedia. Demographics. Golestan Province. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golestan_Province.
- 27.Wikipedia. Ethnic groups. Iran. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran-Ethnic_groups.
- 28.Wikipedia. Religion in Iran. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Iran.
- 39.He S, Bao W, Shao M, et al. Risk factors for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in a Chinese population. Acta Gastro-Enterol Belgica. 2011;74:503–508.Google Scholar