Association of Visceral Fat Accumulation and Adiponectin Levels with Colorectal Neoplasia
- 207 Downloads
Purpose There are few studies addressing the association between measured values of visceral fat accumulation (VFA), adiponectin, and colorectal neoplasia. Our purpose is to investigate the association of VFA and serum adiponectin levels with colorectal adenoma and carcinoma patients. For this purpose, 54 patients with colorectal adenoma and carcinoma, diagnosed by colonoscopic evaluation, and 50 healthy control subjects were included. Patients were subjected to measurement of VFA and adiponectin level and calculation of insulin resistance. Results Patients with colorectal carcinoma had lower plasma adiponectin levels compared with controls. VFA level did not differ between patients and controls. Adiponectin level was found to be uncorrelated with VFA in the colorectal cancer and adenoma group. No correlation was found between insulin resistance and plasma adiponectin level and VFA. Conclusion Our findings suggest that decreased plasma adiponectin level may be a factor involved in the development of colon cancer or a secondary effect of the metabolic derangements in colorectal cancer.
KeywordsAdiponectin Obesity VFA Colon Cancer Adenoma
This work is supported by the Scientific Research Fund of Fatih University under project number P53010714.
- 9.Kumada M, Kihara S, Sumitsuji S, et al. Osaka CAD Study Group. Coronary artery disease. Association of hypoadiponectinemia with coronary artery disease in men. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2003;23:85–89. doi: 10.1161/01.ATV.0000048856.22331.50.
- 17.Miyoshi Y, Funahashi T, Kihara S, et al. Association of serum adiponectin levels with breast cancer risk. Clin Cancer Res. 2003;15:5699–5704.Google Scholar
- 27.The Expert Committee. Report of the Expert Committee on the diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care. 1997;20:11833–11197.Google Scholar
- 28.Bonora E, Targher G, Alberiche M, et al. Homeostasis model assessment closely mirrors the glucose clamp technique in the assessment of insulin sensitivity: studies in subjects with various degrees of glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity. Diabetes Care. 2000;23:57–63. doi: 10.2337/diacare.23.1.57.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Michalakis K, Catherine J, Williams L, et al. Serum adiponectin concentrations and tissue expression of adiponectin receptors are reduced in patients with prostate cancer: a case control study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2007;16(2). doi: 10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-06-0621.
- 32.Larsson B, Svardsudd K, Welin L, Wilhelmsen L, Bjorntorp P, Tibblin G. Abdominal adipose tissue distribution, obesity, and risk of cardiovascular disease and death: 13 year follow up of participants in the study of men born in 1913. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1984;288:1401–1404.Google Scholar
- 34.Folsom AR, Kaye SA, Sellers TA, et al. Body fat distribution and 5-year risk of death in older women [published erratum appears in JAMA. 1993;269:1254].Google Scholar