Angiotensin II Participates in Hepatic Inflammation and Fibrosis through MCP-1 Expression
- 181 Downloads
In this study, we assessed the hypothesis that angiotensin (Ang) II could modulate inflammatory cell recruitment into the liver through hepatic expression of monocyte chemoattractant protein (MCP)-1 during liver injury. For in vivo study, Ang II type 1a knockout (AT1a KO) mice and wild-type (WT) mice were treated with CCl4 for 4 weeks. After CCl4 treatment, AT1a KO mice showed lower expression of MCP-1 and fewer CD68-positive cells in the liver compared with WT mice. For in vitro study, Ang II was added to LI90 cells. Ang II enhanced MCP-1 mRNA together with RhoA mRNA and also induced secretion of MCP-1 into the culture medium. This change was strongly blocked by Y-27632, a specific Rho-kinase inhibitor. These results suggest that Ang II modulates hepatic inflammation via production of MCP-1 by hepatic stellate cells, and the effect of Ang II on MCP-1 production is, at least partly, mediated by the Rho/Rho-kinase pathway.
Key Wordsrenin–angiotensin system monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 hepatic stellate cell hepatic inflammation hepatic fibrosis angiotensin II type 1a knockout mouse small G protein Rho/Rho-kinase pathway carbon tetrachloride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Bataller R, Sancho-Bru P, Gines P, Lora JM, Al-Garawi A, Sole M, Colmenero J, Nicolas JM, Jimenez W, Weich N, Gutierrez-Ramos JC, Arroyo V, Rodes J: Activated human hepatic stellate cells express the renin-angiotensin system and synthesize angiotensin II. Gastroenterology 125:117–125, 2003PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Omura T, Yoshiyama M, Kim S, Matsumoto R, Nakamura Y, Izumi Y, Ichijo H, Sudo T, Akioka K, Iwao H, Takeuchi K, Yoshikawa J: Involvement of apoptosis signal-regulating kinase-1 on angiotensin II-induced monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 expression. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:270–275, 2004CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Sugaya T, Nishimatsu S, Tanimoto K, Takimoto E, Yamagishi T, Imamura K, Goto S, Imaizumi K, Hisada Y, Otsuka A, Uchida H, Sugiura K, Fukuta K, Fukamizu A, Murakami K: Angiotensin II type 1a receptor-deficient mice with hypotension and hyperreninemia, J Biol Chem 270:18719–18722, 1995CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 31.Kunieda Y, Nakagawa K, Nishimura H, Kato H, Ukimura N, Yano S, Kawano H, Kimura S, Nakagawa M, Tsuji H: HMG CoA reductase inhibitor suppresses the expression of tissue factor and plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 induced by angiotensin II in cultured rat aortic endothelial cells. Thromb Res 110:227–234, 2003CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 33.Hernandez-Presa M, Bustos C, Ortego M, Tunon J, Renedo G, Ruiz-Ortega M, Egido J: Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition prevents arterial nuclear factor-kappa B activation, monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 expression, and macrophage infiltration in a rabbit model of early accelerated atherosclerosis. Circulation 95:1532–1541, 1997PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 34.Ruiz-Ortega M, Bustos C, Hernandez-Presa MA, Lorenzo O, Plaza JJ, Egido J: Angiotensin II participates in mononuclear cell recruitment in experimental immune complex nephritis through nuclear factor-kappa B activation and monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 synthesis. J Immunol 161:430–439, 1998PubMedGoogle Scholar