Advanced Colorectal Carcinomas Measuring 20 mm or Less Exhibit Markedly Higher Invasiveness Despite Their Size
- 28 Downloads
To analyze the biology of small (20 mm or less) advanced colorectal carcinomas (SAC), 24 cases, 22 small early colorectal carcinomas (SEC) of similar size, and 52 advanced colorectal carcinomas (AC) were studied. The proliferative (Ki-67) labeling index for SAC was 65.9± 17.1%, significantly higher than those for SEC (30.9± 13.7%) or AC (43.0± 17.1%) (P &< 0.01). Matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-9 and tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinase (TIMP)-2 expressions for SAC were 62.5 and 79.2%, respectively, significantly higher than those for SEC (4.5, 13.6%) or AC (21, 33%) (P &<0.01). Small advanced carcinomas have higher invasiveness than SEC or AC and may represent a different type of cancer.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Funahashi K, Tsujita K, Miki T, Koike J, Ogai T, Nagasawa Y, Kobayashi K, Yanagita K, Yoshio T: A study for cytological behavior of colorectal carcinoma from the viewpoint of histological type and Ki-67 labeling index in the infiltrated region of tumor. Jpn J Gastroenterol Surg 30:846–852, 1997 (in Japanese with English abstract)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Otsuka M, Nagasako K, Sano Y, Fujimori T, Hayashi N: Correlation between the intramucosal growth type and the incidence of P53-overexpression and point mutations of K-ras in the development of colorectal cancer less than 20 mm in diameter. Gastroenterol Endosc 39:779–785, 1997Google Scholar
- 8.Japanese Society for Cancer of the Colon and Rectum: General Rules for Clinical and Pathological Studies on Cancer of the Colon, Rectum and Anus, 6th ed. Tokyo, Kanehara Shuppan, 1998Google Scholar
- 10.Ushio K, Mizuguchi Y, Ishizuya Y, Nawano S, Ishikawa T, Muramatu Y, Takayasu K, Moriyama N, Mastue H, Yamada T, Yoshida S, Koguro Y, Itabashi M, Hirota E, Ichikawa H: Radiographic and endoscopic characteristics of advanced colorectal carcinoma smaller than 2 cm in diameter. Stomach Intestine 22:387–396, 1987 in Japanese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- 15.Nakamura K, Shibuya S, Nishizawa M, Makino T: Adenoma–carcinoma sequence of colorectal carcinomas analysed by use of objective indices of grade of atypicality, and their growing processes in early phase. Stomach Intestine 20:877–888, 1985Google Scholar