Real time asset tracking in the data center
- 171 Downloads
The importance and difficultly of asset tracking make it worthy of attention. We focus on data centers consisting of vertical racks where each rack may accommodate a variety of equipment. We describe an asset tracking system which automatically detects and identifies equipment within rack; has “pinpoint” accuracy, i.e., location resolution equals asset size; relays this information to possibly several management back-ends; includes a back-end application that maintains a location history for all equipment; and uses a visualization tool to display both the current state and the history of deployment.
The solution features a flexible architecture that simplifies the connection with both existing and future asset management applications. The architecture supports simple configuration, load balancing, and redundancy. Care has been taken to use widely recognized standards wherever possible.
KeywordsRIFD Asset tracking Data center Supply chain Inventory management Change management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.TI document “HF Antenna Design Notes” Lit # 11-08026-003.Google Scholar
- 2.The Common Gateway Interface. http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/cgi/overview.html.
- 3.S. Pradhan et. al. RFID and Sensing in the Supply Chain: Challenges and Opportunities. HP Labs Technical Report HPL-2005-16.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Rodgers. Managing change across the enterprise: making the most of IT investments. Computer Technology Review, May 2003.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Messarina et. al. Demo Abstract: Automating Server Tracking for Data Centers. SenSys’04 ACM 1-58113-879-2/04/0011.Google Scholar
- 6.R. Droms. Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. RFC 2131.Google Scholar
- 7.The EPC Global website http://www.epcglobalinc.org.
- 8.For example, http://www.comdirections.com/FATS/default.htm.
- 9.J. Benson, and C Sreenan. High-Precision Ad-Hoc Indoor Positioning in Challenging Industrial Environments. http://www.cs.ucc.ie/~cjs/docs/wpnc04.PDF.
- 10.libhttp release 0.9. http://www.softorchestra.com/downloads/.
- 11.C. Brignone et. al. SmartLocus: an autonomous, self-assembling sensor network for indoor asset and systems management. HP Labs Technical Report HPL-2003-41.Google Scholar
- 12.Mini-XML Home Page. http://www.easysw.com/~mike/mxml/.
- 14.David L. Mills. Network Time Protocol. RFC 1305.Google Scholar
- 15.S. Pradhan et. al. Tracking Electronic Devices. U.S. Patent Number 6796506.Google Scholar
- 17.J. Case, M. Fedor, M. Schoffstall, and J. Davin. “Simple network management protocol”, RFC 1157.Google Scholar
- 19.M. Messarian et. al. A Self-Configuring Sensing System for Data Centers. 14th IFIP/IEEE International Workshop on Distributed Systems; Operations and Management. DSOM 2003.Google Scholar
- 21.Ground-breaking set for Wachovia’s $400M data center. Birmingham Business Journal April 5, 2005 http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/stories/2005/04/04/daily6.html.
- 22.For example, http://www.wisetrack.com/rfid.html.