Role of nanoparticles in osteogenic differentiation of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells
- 63 Downloads
The present study aimed to investigate the osteoinductive potentiality of some selected nanostructures; Hydroxyapatite (HA-NPs), Gold (Au-NPs), Chitosan (C-NPs), Gold/hydroxyapatite (Au/HA-NPs) and Chitosan/hydroxyapatite (CH-NPs) on bone marrow- derived mesenchymal stem cells (BM-MSCs). These nanostructures were characterized using transmission electron microscope and Zetasizer. MSCs were isolated from bone marrow of rat femur bones and their identity was documented by morphology, flow cytometry and multi-potency capacity. The influence of the selected nanostructures on the viability, osteogenic differentiation and subsequent matrix mineralization of BM-MSCs was determined by MTT assay, molecular genetic analysis and alizarin red S staining, respectively. MTT analysis revealed insignificant toxicity of the tested nanostructures on BM-MSCs at concentrations ranged from 2 to 25 µg/ml over 48 h and 72 h incubation period. Notably, the tested nanostructures potentiate the osteogenic differentiation of BM-MSCs as evidenced by a prominent over-expression of runt-related transcription factor 2 (Runx-2) and bone morphogenetic protein 2 (BMP-2) genes after 7 days incubation. Moreover, the tested nanostructures induced matrix mineralization of BM-MSCs after 21 days as manifested by the formation of calcium nodules stained with alizarin red S. Conclusively, these data provide a compelling evidence for the functionality of the studied nanostructures as osteoinductive materials motivating the differentiation of BM-MSCs into osteoblasts with the most prominent effect observed with Au-NPs and Au/HA-NPs, followed by CH-NPs.
KeywordsBone marrow mesenchymal stem cells Osteogenic differentiation Hydroxyapatite Gold Chitosan Nanoparticles
The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the National Research Centre, Egypt.
This work was financially supported by the National Research Centre, Egypt (Thesis fund No. 71511).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Choi SY, Song MS, Ryu PD, Lam ATN, Joo S-W, Lee SY (2015) Gold nanoparticles promote osteogenic differentiation in human adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells through the Wnt/β-catenin signaling pathway. Int J Nanomed 10:4383–4392Google Scholar
- Guidotti S, Facchini A, Platano D, Olivotto E, Minguzzi M, Trisolino G, Filrdo G, Cetrullo S, Tantini B, Martucci E, Facchini A, Flamigni F, Borzi RM (2013) Enhanced osteoblastogenesis of adipose-derived stem cells on spermine delivery via beta-catenin activation. Stem Cells Dev 22:1588–1601PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hunter RJ (1981) Zeta potential in colloid science: principles and applications. Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Kim K, Dean D, Lu A, Mikos AG, Fisher JP (2011) Early osteogenic signal expression of rat bone marrow stromal cells is influenced by both hydroxyapatite nanoparticle content and initial cell seeding density in biodegradable nanocomposite scaffolds. Acta Biomater 7:1249–1264. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actbio.2010.11.007 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Linard C, Brachet M, L’homme B, Strup-Perrot C, Busson E, Bonneau M, Lataillade JJ, Bey E, Benderitter M (2018) Long-term effectiveness of local BM-MSCs for skeletal muscle regeneration: a proof of concept obtained on a pig model of severe radiation burn. Stem Cell Res Ther 9:299. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13287-018-1051-6 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Lock J, Liu H (2011) Nanomaterials enhance osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells similar to a short peptide of BMP-7. Int J Nanomed 6:2769–2777Google Scholar
- Ma X-Y, Feng Y-F, Wang T-S, Le WI, Li X, Zhou D-P, Wen X-X, Yu H-L, Xiang L-B, Wang L (2018) Involvement of FAK-mediated BMP-2/Smad pathway in mediating osteoblast adhesion and differentiation on nano-HA/chitosan composite coated titanium implant under diabetic conditions. Biomater Sci 6:225–238CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mauricio MD, Guerra-Ojeda S, Marchio P, Valles SL, Aldasoro M, Escribano-Lopez I, Herance JR, Rocha M, Vila JM, Victor VM (2018) Nanoparticles in medicine: a focus on vascular oxidative stress. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2018:6231482. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/6231482 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Naruphontjirakul P, Tsigkou O, Li S, Porter AE, Jones JR (2019) Human mesenchymal stem cells differentiate into an osteogenic lineage in presence of strontium containing bioactive glass nanoparticles. Acta Biomater 90:373–392. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actbio.2019.03.038 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Rogina A, Antunović M, Pribolšan L, Mihalić KC, Vukasović A, Ivković A, Marijanović I, Ferrer GG, Ivanković M, Ivanković H (2017) human mesenchymal stem cells differentiation regulated by hydroxyapatite content within chitosan-based scaffolds under perfusion conditions. Polymers 9:387PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sangeetha P, Maiti SK, Mohan D, Shivaraju S, Raguvaran R, Abu Rafee M, Bindhuja BV, Kumar N, Raguvanshi PDS (2017) Mesenchymal stem cells derived from rat bone marrow (rBM-MSCs): techniques for isolation, expansion and differentiation. J Stem Cell Res Ther 3:272–277. https://doi.org/10.15406/jsrt.2017.03.00101 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Uskoković V, Desai TA (2014) In vitro analysis of nanoparticulate hydroxyapatite/chitosan composites as potential drug delivery platforms for the sustained release of antibiotics in the treatment of osteomyelitis. J Pharm Sci 103:567–579. https://doi.org/10.1002/jps.23824 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wan A-J, Sun Y, Li W-T, Li H-L (2007) transmission electron microscopy and electron diffraction study of BSA-loaded quaternized chitosan nanoparticles. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 86:197–207Google Scholar
- Yubao L, Klein CPAT, de Wijn J, Wolke J, de Groot K (1993) Morphology and phase structure of nanograde boneapatite-like rodshaped crystals. In: Ducheyne P, Christiansen D (eds) Bioceramics. Butterworth-Heinemann, Philadelphia, pp 173–178Google Scholar
- Zainol I, Zakaria FA, Saliman MR, Derman MA (2008) Preparation and characterisation of chitosan/nano hydroxyapatite composites. J Solid State Sci Technol 16:153–159Google Scholar