In vitro cytogenetic assessment and comparison of vildagliptin and sitagliptin
- 69 Downloads
Vildagliptin and sitagliptin are commonly used antidiabetic drugs. Chromosomal aberration (CA), sister chromatid exchange (SCE) and cytokinesis-block micronucleus (CBMN) assays were employed to assess and compare cytotoxic and genotoxic effects of these drugs. Peripheral lymphocytes were exposed to 125 μg/ml, 250 μg/ml and 500 μg/ml of vildagliptin and 250 μg/ml, 500 μg/ml and 1000 μg/ml of sitagliptin for 24 h and 48 h with and without exogenous metabolic activation. At the end of the study, it was determined that these drugs and their metabolites had no genotoxic effects on CA, SCE and CBMN. On the other hand, parallel to the increase in dose, vildagliptin showed weak cytotoxicity on the mitotic index, and depending on its increase in dose; sitagliptin caused potential cytotoxicity and cytostatic effect on the mitotic index, nuclear division index and proliferation index. Due to their cytotoxic and cytostatic potential, these drugs inhibit cell proliferation.
KeywordsVildagliptin Sitagliptin Antidiabetic In vitro genotoxicity Comparison
This study was supported by Ondokuz Mayıs University with PYO.TIP.1904-15.030 project numbers. We also thank Seval Kontaş Yedier for her technical help.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
- Atlı Şekeroğlu Z, Şekeroğlu V (2011) Genetik toksisite testleri. TÜBAV Bilim Dergisi 4:221–229Google Scholar
- EMA (2007) Sitagliptin (Januvia) scientific discussion. http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Scientific_Discussion/human/000722/WC500039057.pdf. Accessed 06 Feb 2019
- EMA EMA (2012) Vildagliptin (Galvus) scientific discussion. http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Summary_for_the_public/human/000771/WC500020328.pdf. Accessed 06 Feb 2019
- Engüzel C (2015) Bir anti-diyabetik ilaç etken maddesi olan sitagliptin’in tek başına ve metformin ile birlikte ın vıtro genotoksik etkilerinin belirlenmesi. Yüksek Lisans Tezi, Gazi ÜniversitesiGoogle Scholar
- Femia AP, Raimondi L, Maglieri G, Lodovici M, Mannucci E, Caderni G (2013) Long-term treatment with Sitagliptin, a dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor, reduces colon carcinogenesis and reactive oxygen species in 1,2-dimethylhydrazine-induced rats. Int J Cancer 133:2498–2503. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.28260 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Harishankar MK, Logeshwaran S, Sujeevan S, Aruljothi KN, Dannie MA, Devi A (2015) Genotoxicity evaluation of metformin and glimepiride by micronucleus assay in exfoliated urothelial cells of type 2 diabetes mellitus patients. Food Chem Toxicol 83:146–150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2015.06.013 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- IDF (2015) IDF Diabetes Atlas Karakas Print. https://www.idf.org/e-library/epidemiology-research/diabetes-atlas/13-diabetes-atlas-seventh-edition.html. Accessed 07 July 2017
- Jena GB, Kaul CL, Ramarao P (2002) Genotoxicity testing. A regulatory requirement for drug discovery and development: impact of Ich guidelines. Indian J Pharmacol 34:86–99Google Scholar
- Oz Gul O et al (2013) Comparative genotoxic and cytotoxic effects of the oral antidiabetic drugs sitagliptin, rosiglitazone, and pioglitazone in patients with type-2 diabetes: a cross-sectional, observational pilot study. Mutat Res 757:31–35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mrgentox.2013.04.024 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Roshdy HM, Kassem SM (2013) Genetic effects of Januvia and Galvus alone or with metformin on pregnant female mice and their embryos. World Appl Sci J 25:1690–1698. https://doi.org/10.5829/idosi.wasj.2013.25.12.76142 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Spagnuolo PA, et al. (2013) Inhibition of intracellular dipeptidyl peptidases 8 and 9 enhances parthenolide’s anti-leukemic activity Leukemia 27:1236 https://doi.org/10.1038/leu.2013.9 https://www.nature.com/articles/leu20139#supplementary-information CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- TEMD (2014) Türkiye Endokrinoloji ve Metabolizma Derneği, Diabetes Mellitus ve Komplikasyonlarının Tanı, Tedavi Ve İzlem Kılavuzu. TEMD Yayınları. Ankara. ISBN 978-605-4011-16-2 Google Scholar