Selenious-β-lactoglobulin induces the apoptosis of human lung cancer A549 cells via an intrinsic mitochondrial pathway
- 48 Downloads
In this study, the cytotoxic activity of selenious-β-lactoglobulin (Se-β-Lg) and the anticancer mechanism were investigated in human lung cancer A549 cells in vitro. MTT assay showed that Se-β-Lg at 200 μg/mL exhibited a significant suppression effect on A549 cells and the maximum inhibition rate reached 90% after 72 h treatment. Flow cytometry analysis revealed that 200 μg/mL of Se-β-Lg induced cell cycle arrest at G0/G1 phase. Cell apoptosis was induced via the generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and the decrease of mitochondrial membrane potential (ΔΨm) in a time-dependent manner. Furthermore, Se-β-Lg suppressed the expression of Bcl-2 and improved the level of Bax, leading to the release of cytochrome c and a higher expression of caspase-3 in A549 cells. In summary, Se-β-Lg could induce apoptosis in A549 cells via an intrinsic mitochondrial pathway and it might serve as a potential therapeutic agent for human lung cancer.
KeywordsSelenious-β-lactoglobulin (se-β-lg) Antitumor activity Mitochondrial pathway
This study was funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 31271975).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Human and animal rights
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Ghalandari B, Divsalar A, Saboury AA, Parivar K (2014) The new insight into oral drug delivery system based on metal drugs in colon cancer therapy through β-lactoglobulin/oxali-palladium nanocapsules. J Photochem Photobiol B 140:255–265. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2014.08.003 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kim AD, Han X, Piao MJ, Hewage SR, Hyun CL, Cho SJ, Hyun JW (2015) Esculetin induces death of human colon cancer cells via the reactive oxygen species-mediated mitochondrial apoptosis pathway. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 39:982–989. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.etap.2015.03.003 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Liu A, Sun K, Zhu Z, Fan Y (2012) Preparation and structural characterization of l-arginine-selenic acid addition compound. Asian J Chem 24:4819–4820Google Scholar
- Perumalsamy H, Sankarapandian K, Kandaswamy N, Balusamy SR, Periyathambi D, Raveendiran N (2017) Cellular effect of styrene substituted biscoumarin caused cellular apoptosis and cell cycle arrest in human breast cancer cells. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 92:104–114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocel.2017.09.019 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Tirino V et al (2013) TGF-β1 exposure induces epithelial to mesenchymal transition both in CSCs and non-CSCs of the A549 cell line, leading to an increase of migration ability in the CD133+ A549 cell fraction. Cell Death Dis 4:e620. https://doi.org/10.1038/cddis.2013.144 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Xie P, Fujii I, Zhao J, Shinohara M, Matsukura M (2016) A novel polysaccharide derived from algae extract induces apoptosis and cell cycle arrest in human gastric carcinoma MKN45 cells via ROS/JNK signaling pathway. Int J Oncol 49:1561–1568. https://doi.org/10.3892/ijo.2016.3658 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar