Selective fraction of Atractylodes lancea (Thunb.) DC. and its growth inhibitory effect on human gastric cancer cells
- 517 Downloads
The purpose of this study was to investigate the pharmacological effect of fraction of Atractylodes lancea (Thunb.) DC. (A. lancea) extract. In this study, we isolated different polarity fractions, including petroleum ether (PE), ethyl acetate, n-butanol, and the remaining H2O fractions from the water extract of A. lancea. The antigastric cancer properties of the different fractions in BGC-823 and SGC-7901 cells were evaluated. Apoptotic cells were treated with PE fraction and stained with Hoechst 33342 and 5,5,6,6-tetrachloro-1,1,3,3-tetraethylbenzimidazolylcarbocyanine iodide. The cell cycle was analyzed via flow cytometry. The main compounds of PE fraction were determined by HPLC–ESI–MS. Results of this study showed that the PE fraction of A. lancea inhibited the growth of BGC-823 and SGC-7901 cells in a dose- and time-dependent manner. The morphological and mitochondrial transmembrane potential changes suggested that the cells showed preliminary apoptosis characteristics after treatment with the three different polarities. The main compounds of PE fraction include two sesquiterpene compounds: eudesm-4(15),7-diene-9α,11-diol and eudesm-4(15)-ene-7a,11-diol; three sesquiterpene lactone compounds: atractylenolid I, atractylenolid III and 3-β-acetyl-atractylenolid III and one polyacetylenic compound: 4,6,12-tetradecatriene-8,10-diyne-1,3,14-triol.
KeywordsAtractylodes lancea (Thunb.) DC. Water extracts PE fraction Gastric cells Growth inhibitory
This work is supported by Bureau of traditional Chinese medicine of Jiangsu Province (No. LZ09086; HZ07005).
Conflict of interest
The authors have declared that there is no conflict of interest.
- Correa P, Shiao YH (1994) Phenotypic and genotypic events in gastric carcinogenesis. Cancer Res 54:1941–1943Google Scholar
- Crew KD, Neugut AI (2006) Epidemiology of gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol 12:354–362Google Scholar
- Ding H, Wu YC, Lin HC (2000) Phytochemical and pharmacological studies on Chinese Changzhu. J Chin Chem Soc 47:561–566Google Scholar
- Dobos GJ, Tan L, Cohen MH (2005) Are national quality standards for traditional Chinese herbalmedicine sufficient? Current governmental regulations for traditional Chinese herbal medicine in certain Western countries and China as the Eastern origin country. Complementary Ther Med 13:183–190CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gatti L, Perego P (2009) Cellular resistance to oxaliplatin and drug accumulation defects. Cancer Drug Discov Dev 2:115–124Google Scholar
- Kubo M, Nogami M, Nishimura M (1983) Studies of crude drugs about its origin, process and quality. I. The preventive effects of Chinese crude drug ‘Zhu’ on experimental stomach ulcer and its pharmacological evaluation (1). Yakugaku Zasshi 103:442–448Google Scholar
- Li X, Wang JH, Li X (2002) Studies on the chemical consitutent of Atractylodes chinensis (DC.) Koidz. J Shengyang Pharm Univ 9:178Google Scholar
- Nogami M, Moriura T, Kubo M, Tani T (1986) Studies on the origin, processing and quality of crude drugs. II. Pharmacological evaluation of the Chinese crude drug ‘zhu’ in experimental stomach ulcer (2). Inhibitory effect of extract of Atractylodes lancea on gastric secretion. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 34:3854–3860CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P (2005) Global Cancer Statistics, 2002. Cancer J Clin 55:74–108Google Scholar
- Wang LY, Duan JA, Qian SH (2007) Studies on the chemical consitutent of Atractylodes lancea (Thunb.) DC. Chin Tradit Herbal Drugs 38:499–500Google Scholar
- Wu X, Han RB, Luo HS (2004) Studies on the chemical constituents of Actractycodes japonica Koidz ex Kitam. J Yanbian Univ (Nat Sci) 30:29–34Google Scholar
- Yuan ZH, Huang MH, Chen Yuan Y (2011) Kind of treatment of liver, stomach, lung, and cancer of the blood and preparation methods that combination of Chinese herbal medicine, CN102205059A (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Zhang YQ, Xu SB, Lin C (1999) Gastrointestinal inhibitory effects of sesquiterpene lactones from Atractylodes macrocephala. Zhong Yao Cai 12:636–640Google Scholar