Stem cells for reprogramming: could hUMSCs be a better choice?
- 262 Downloads
Human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells (hUMSC) are primitive multipotent cells capable of differentiating into cells of different lineages. They can be an alternative source of pluripotent cells since they are ethically and regulatory approved, are easily obtained and have low immunogenicity compared to embryonic stem cells which are dogged with numerous controversies. hUMSC can be a great source for cell and transplantation therapy.
KeywordsHuman umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells Embryonic stem cells Pluripotency Reprogramming
This work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (no. 81072741), National Basic Research Program of China (“973 Program”) (2011CB505300-02), Program for Changjiang Scholars and Innovative Research Team in University (no. IRT0973) and Tianjin Research Program Of Application Foundation And Advanced Technology (No.09jcybjc).
- Brimble SN, Zeng X, Weiler DA, Luo Y, Liu Y, Lyons IG, Freed WJ, Robins AJ, Rao MS, Schulz TC (2004) Karyotypic stability, genotyping, differentiation, feeder-free maintenance and gene expression sampling in three human embryonic stem cells lines derived prior to Aug 9, 2001. Stem Cells Dev 13:585–595Google Scholar
- Cai J, Li W, Su H, Qin D, Yang J, Zhu F, Xu J, He W, Guo X, Labuda K, Peterbauer A, Wolbank S, Zhong M, Li Z, Wu W, So KF, Redl H, Zeng L, Esteban MA, Pei D (2010) Generation of human induced pluripotent stem cells from umbilical cord matrix and amniotic membrane mesenchymal cells. J Biol Chem 285:11227–11234CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Drukker M, Katz G, Urbach A, Schuldiner M, Markel G, Itskovitz-Eldor J, Reubinoff B, Mandelboim O, Benvenisty N (2002) Characterisation of the expression of MHC proteins in human embryonic stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99:9864–9869Google Scholar
- Fortunel N, Batard P, Hatzfeld A, Monier MN, Panterne B, Lebkowski J, Hatzfeld J (1998) High proliferative potential quiescent cells; a working model to study primitive quiescent hematopoietic cells. J Cell Sci 111:1867–1875Google Scholar
- Itskovitz-Eldor J, Schuldiner M, Karsenti D, Eden A, Yanuka O, Amit M, Soreq H, Benvenisty N (2000) Differentiation of human embryonic stem cells into embryoid bodies comprising the three embryonic germ layers. Mol Med 6:88–95Google Scholar
- Jung Y, Song J, Shiozawa Y, Wang J, Wang Z, Williams B, Havens A, Schneider A, Ge C, Franceschi RT, McCauley LK, Krebsbach PH, Taichman RS (2008) Hematopoietic stem cells regulate mesenchymal stromal cell induction into osteoblasts thereby participating in the formation of stem cell niche. Stem Cells 26:2042–2051CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lu LL, Liu YJ, Yang SG, Zhao QJ, Wang X, Gong W, Han ZB, Xu ZS, Lu YX, Liu D, Chen ZZ, Han ZC (2006) Isolation and characterization of human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells with haematopoiesis-supportive function and other potentials. Haematologica 91:1017–1026Google Scholar
- Ma L, Feng XY, Cui BL, Law F, Jiang XW, Yang LY, Xie QD, Huang TH (2005) Human umbilical cord Wharton’s Jelly-derived mesenchymal stem cells differentiation into nerve-like cells. Chin Med J (Engl) 118:1987–1993Google Scholar
- Mareschi K, Biasin E, Piacibello W, Aglietta M, Madon E, Fagioli F (2001) Isolation of human mesenchymal stem cells: bone marrow versus umbilical cord blood. Haematologica 86:1099–1100Google Scholar
- Matsuzuka T, Rachakatla RS, Doi C, Maurya DK, Ohta N, Kawabata A, Pyle MM, Pickel L, Reishman F, Troyer D, Tamura M (2010) Human umbilical cord matrix-derived stem cells expressing interferon-β gene significantly attenuate bronchioloalveolar carcinoma xenografts in SCID mice. Lung Cancer 70:28–36Google Scholar
- Mehrotra M, Rosol M, Ogawa M, Larue AC (2010) Amelioration of a mouse model of osteogenesis imperfecta with hematopoietic stem cell transplantation; micro computed tomography studies. Exp Haematol 38:593–602Google Scholar
- Morigi M, Rota C, Montemurro T, Montelatici E, Lo Cicero V, Imberti B, Abbate M, Zoja C, Cassis P, Longaretti L, Rebulla P, Introna M, Capelli C, Benigni A, Remuzzi G, Lazzari L (2010) Life-sparing effect of human cord blood-mesenchymal stem cells in experimental acute kidney injury. Stem Cells 28:513–522Google Scholar
- Rubinstein P, Rosenfield RE, Adamson JW, Stevens CE (1993) Stored placental blood for unrelated bone marrow reconstitution. Blood 81:1679–1690Google Scholar
- Tsai SY, Clavel C, Kim S, Ang YS, Grisanti L, Lee DF, Kelley K, Rendl M (2010) Oct4 and klf4 reprogram dermal papilla cells into induced pluripotent stem cells. Stem Cells 28:221–228Google Scholar
- Wang Y, Fan H, Zhou B, Ju Z, Yu L, Guo L, Han J, Lu S (2012) Fusion of human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells with esophageal carcinoma cells inhibits the tumorigenicity of esophageal carcinoma cells. Int J Oncol 40:370–377Google Scholar