How to Maximize the Likelihood Function for a DSGE Model
- 420 Downloads
This paper extends two optimization routines to deal with objective functions for DSGE models. The optimization routines are (1) a version of Simulated Annealing developed by Corana A, Marchesi M, Ridella (ACM Trans Math Softw 13(3):262–280, 1987), and (2) the evolutionary algorithm CMA-ES developed by Hansen, Müller, Koumoutsakos (Evol Comput 11(1), 2003). Following these extensions, we examine the ability of the two routines to maximize the likelihood function for a sequence of test economies. Our results show that the CMA-ES routine clearly outperforms Simulated Annealing in its ability to find the global optimum and in efficiency. With ten unknown structural parameters in the likelihood function, the CMA-ES routine finds the global optimum in 95% of our test economies compared to 89% for Simulated Annealing. When the number of unknown structural parameters in the likelihood function increases to 20 and 35, then the CMA-ES routine finds the global optimum in 85 and 71% of our test economies, respectively. The corresponding numbers for Simulated Annealing are 70 and 0%.
KeywordsCMA-ES optimization routine Multimodel objective function Nelder–Mead simplex routine Non-convex search space Resampling Simulated Annealing
JEL ClassificationsC61 C88 E30
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Altig, D., Christiano, L. J., Eichenbaum, M., & Linde, J. (2005). Firm-specific capital, nominal rigidities and the business cycle. NBER working paper no 11034 (pp. 1–50).Google Scholar
- Andreasen, M. M. (2008). Ensuring the validity of the micro foundation in DSGE models. Working Paper.Google Scholar
- Auger, A., & Hansen, N. (2005). A restart CMA evolution strategy with increasing population size. Proceedings of the IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, CEC (pp. 1769–1776).Google Scholar
- Hansen, N. (2005). The CMA evolution strategy: A tutorial. Working Paper.Google Scholar
- Hansen, N., & Kern, S. (2004). Evaluating the CMA evolution strategy on multimodal test functions. In Eighth international conference on parallel problem from nature, PPSN VIII, (pp. 282–291). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Muller S.D., Hansen N., Koumoutsakos P. (2002). Increasing the serial and the parallel performance of the CMA-evolution strategy with large populations. In Seventh international conference on parallel problem solving from nature PPSN VII, Proceedings (pp. 422–431). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Rossi G. D. (2004). Maximum likelihood estimation of the cox-ingersoll-ross model using particle filters. Working Paper.Google Scholar
- Salamon, P., Sibani, P., & Frost, R. (2002). Facts, conjectures and improvements for simulated annealing. Philadelphia: Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.Google Scholar
- Schmitt-Grohé, S., Uribe, M. (2006). Optimal inflation stabilization in a medium-scale macroeconomic model. Working Paper (pp. 1–59).Google Scholar