Block Kalman Filtering for Large-Scale DSGE Models
- 196 Downloads
In this paper block Kalman filters for Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium models are presented and evaluated. Our approach is based on the simple idea of writing down the Kalman filter recursions on block form and appropriately sequencing the operations of the prediction step of the algorithm. It is argued that block filtering is the only viable serial algorithmic approach to significantly reduce Kalman filtering time in the context of large DSGE models. For the largest model we evaluate the block filter reduces the computation time by roughly a factor 2. Block filtering compares favourably with the more general method for faster Kalman filtering outlined by Koopman and Durbin (J Time Ser Anal 21:281–296, 2000) and, furthermore, the two approaches are largely complementary.
KeywordsKalman filter DSGE model Bayesian estimation Algorithm Fortran Matlab
JEL CodesC11 C13 C63
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- An, S. (2005). Bayesian estimation of dsge models: Lessons from second-order approximations. Working Paper, University of Pennsylvania.Google Scholar
- Azzini, I., Girardi, R., & Ratto, M. (2007). Paralellization of Matlab codes under Windows platform for bayesian estimation: A Dynare application. Manuscript, European Commission.Google Scholar
- Christoffel, K., Coenen, G., & Warne, A. (2007). Conditional versus unconditional forecasting with the new area-wide model of the euro area. Mimeo, ECB.Google Scholar
- Goto, K., & van de Geijn, R. (2007). High performance implementation of the level-3 blas. ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software.Google Scholar
- Harvey, A. (1989). Forecasting, Structural Time Series Models and the Kalman filter. Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Smets F., Wouters R. (2003) An estimated stochastic dynamic general equilibrium model of the Euro area. Journal of the European Economic Association 20: 891–910Google Scholar