A Pricing Mechanism for Resource Management in Grid Computing
We consider the problem of efficient resource allocation in a grid computing environment. Grid computing is an emerging paradigm that allows the sharing of a large number of a heterogeneous set of resources. We propose an auction mechanism for decentralized resource allocation. The problem is modeled as a multistage stochastic programming problem. Convergence of the auction allocations to the social optimum is established. Numerical experiments illustrate the efficacy of the method.
KeywordsGrid computing Decentralized resource allocation Multistage stochastic programming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Belenky, V. Z., Ivankov, S. A., & Volkonsky, V. A. (1976). On a certain approach to the investigation of the convergence of iterative processes. In Computing equilibria: How and why (Proc. Internat. Conf., Comput. Centre, Polish Acad. Sci., Toruń, 1974) (pp 225–247). North-Holland, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Birge J.R., Louveaux F. (1997). Introduction to stochastic programming. Springer Series in Operations Research. Springer-Verlag, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Distributed European infrastructure supercomputing applications. http://www.deisa.org. Project information available online.
- Gnu linear programming kit, version 4.9, January 2006. http://www.gnu.org/software/glpk/
- Papadimitriou, C. H. (2001). Algorithms, games, and the internet. In STOC.Google Scholar
- Scarf, H. (1973). The computation of economic equilibria. New Haven, Conn: Yale University Press. With the collaboration of Terje Hansen, Cowles Foundation Monograph, No. 24.Google Scholar
- The London e Science Centre. http://www.lesc.ic.ac.uk/. Project information available online.