Commentary on Empirical Examinations of the Association Between Anxiety and Eating Disorders
- First Online:
- 383 Downloads
A substantial body of research supports comorbidity between eating and anxiety disorders, and articles in this special section explore the nature of this association using several different research designs. This commentary reviews findings from these articles, focusing on inferences that may be drawn from each design. Collectively, articles support the need for future studies to examine whether eating and anxiety disorders share underlying mechanisms. If identified, such mechanisms could create opportunities for transdiagnostic interventions that ameliorate suffering from both eating and anxiety disorders.
KeywordsEating disorders Anxiety disorders Perfectionism Transdiagnostic Study design
- Bardone-Cone, A. M., Brownstone, L. M., Higgins, M. K., Fitzsimmons-Craft, E. E., & Harney, M. B. (2013). Anxiety, appearance contingent self-worth, and appearance conversations with friends in relation to disordered eating: Examining moderator models. Cognitive Therapy and Research. doi:10.1007/s10608-013-9520-9.
- DeBoer, L., Medina, J., Davis, M., Presnell, K., Powers, M., & Smiths, J. A. J. (2013). Associations between fear of negative evaluation and eating pathology during intervention and 12-month follow-up. Cognitive Therapy and Research. doi:10.1007/s10608-013-9547-y.
- Egan, S. J., Watson, H. J., Kane, R. T., McEvoy, P., Fursland, A., & Nathan, P. R. (2013). Anxiety as a mediator between perfectionism and eating disorders. Cognitive Therapy and Research. doi:10.1007/s10608-012-9516-x.
- Fink, E., Bodell, L., Smith, A., & Joiner, T. (2013). The joint influence of disordered eating and anxiety sensitivity on the acquired capability for suicide. Cognitive Therapy and Research. doi:10.1007/s10608-012-9502-3.
- Goddard, E., & Treasure, J. (2013). Anxiety and social-emotional processing in eating disorders: An examination of family trios. Cognitive Therapy and Research. doi:10.1007/s10608-013-9535-2.
- Hearon, B. A., Utschig, A. C., Smits, J. A. J., Moshier, S. J., & Otto, M. W. (2013). The role of anxiety sensitivity and eating expectancy in maladaptive eating behaviors. Cognitive Therapy and Research. doi:10.1007/s10608-012-9491-2.
- Menatti, A. R., Weeks, J. W., Levinson, C. A., & McGowan, M. M. (2013). Exploring the relationship between social anxiety and bulimic symptoms: Mediational effects of perfectionism among females. Cognitive Therapy and Research. doi:10.1007/s10608-013-9521-8.
- Taborelli, E., Krug, I., Karwautz, A., Wagner, G., Haidvogl, M., Fernandez-Aranda, F., Castro, R., Jiménez-Murciad, S., Anderluh, M., Collier, D., Treasure, J., & Micali, N. (2013). Maternal anxiety, overprotection and anxious personality as risk factors for eating disorder: A sister pair study. Cognitive Therapy and Research. doi:10.1007/s10608-012-9518-8.