Chemical Constituents of Amaranthus viridis
- 135 Downloads
Amaranthus viridis L., known in the Philippines as Spinach Tagalog and Kolitis, is sold in the market as vegetable. It is reported to exhibit antiviral and anticancer properties  and antinociceptive activity . Another study reported that after treatment with A. viridis methanol extract, normal and streptozotocin induced diabetic rats exhibited a significant increase in body weight and a decrease in blood glucose, total cholesterol, and serum triglycerides . A recent study reported that methanol extracts of A. viridis showed considerable antimicrobial activity against selected bacterial and fungal strains with MIC ranging from 179–645 μg/mL. The seed extracts exhibited superior antioxidant and antimicrobial activity . Earlier studies reported the isolation of quercetin and lutein  and rutin and β-carotene  from A. viridis. Another study reported the isolation of amasterol, an ecdysone precursor and a growth inhibitor, from the roots of A. viridis . We report herein...
KeywordsQuercetin Petroleum Ether Rutin EtOAc Vanillin
- 1.R. K. Obi, I. I. Iroagba, and O. A. Ojiako, Afr. J. Biotechnol., 5, 1785 (2006).Google Scholar
- 3.G. Krishnamurthy, K. Lakshman, N. Pruthvi, and P. U. Chandrika, Indian J. Pharmacol., 43, 250 (2011).Google Scholar
- 4.M. J. Iqbal, S. Hanif, Z. Mahmood, F. Anwar, and A. Jamil, J. Med. Plants Res., 6, 4450 (2012).Google Scholar
- 5.G. X. Zhou, Kolitis, Retrieved from http://www.stuartxchange.org/Kolitis.html (2011, July).
- 6.B. S. Ashok Kumar, K. Lakshman, K. N. Jayaveera, R. Nandeesh, S. N. Mani Tripathi, N. Vamshi Krishna, M. Manjunath, and M. V. Suresh, Ethnobot. Leaflets, 13, 437 (2009).Google Scholar
- 8.R. S. del Fierro, Q. M. Maquilang, R. A. Sanjorjo, M. D. Tradio, C.-C. Shen, and C. Y. Ragasa, J. Med. Plants Res., 6, 2146 (2012).Google Scholar
- 9.C. Y. Ragasa and K. Lim, Philipp. J. Sci., 134, 83 (2005).Google Scholar
- 11.J. A. Rideout, C. Y. Ragasa, and H. T. Ngo, ACGC Chem. Res. Commun., 16, 34 (2003).Google Scholar
- 12.C. Y. Ragasa, E. S. Javier, and I. G. Tan, Philipp. J. Sci., 132, 21 (2003).Google Scholar