Volatile composition of underground parts of Selinum vaginatum and possible uses
- 143 Downloads
Selinum is a dwarf or medium-size genus with 35 species of perennial, branched herbs belonging to the family Apiaceae. Plants of this genus grow in humus-rich slopes of the temperate zone of the Himalayas and South African and Andean mountains between 6000–14000 ft. asl. Selinum vaginatum C.B. Clarke is an important medicinal and aromatic plant species (MAPs) in this genus. Rhizomes of S. vaginatum produce odor and are mixed as adulterant with rhizomes of Nardostachys jatamansi due to their similar appearance , but they can be differentiated with anatomical detail .
Plants of this genus are aromatic and possess antispasmodic and diuretic properties . Selenidin, oroselol, and angelicin have been reported from the petroleum extract of the root [1,4], whereas the essential oil composition of S. vaginatumhas not been reported so far. However, cultivation trials are continuing on this species at the High Altitude Plant Physiology Research Centre (Uttarakhand, India). There is an...
KeywordsLimonene Camphene Retention Index Volatile Composition Bornyl Acetate
The authors are thankful to the Director, HAPPRC for providing facilities for this work. Financial support from the Department of Biotechnology and National Medicinal Plant Board, Government of India, New Delhi is acknowledged.
- 3.M. Tewari and C. S. Mathela, Indian Perfumer, 47, 343 (2003).Google Scholar
- 4.C. K. Mesta, S. K. Paknikar, and S. C. Bhattacharyya, Chem. Commun., 584 (10), 585 (1968).Google Scholar
- 6.J. Wang, J. Zhao, H. Liu, L. Zhou, Z. Liu, J. Wang, J. Han, Yu Zhu, and F. Yang, Molecules, 15, 6411 (2010).Google Scholar
- 11.J. F. Clevenger, J. Am. Pharm. Assoc., 17, 345 (1928).Google Scholar
- 12.R. P. Adams, Identification of Essential Oil Components by Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectroscopy, Allured Publishing, Carol Stream, IL, 1995.Google Scholar
- 13.F. W. McLafferty and D. B. Stauffer, The Wiley NBS Registry of Mass Spectral Data, 2nd edn., Wiley, New York, 1989.Google Scholar