Chemical composition of the essential oils of Stachys atherocalyx and S. sylvatica from Iran
- 68 Downloads
The genus Stachys (Lamiaceae) is distributed in the mediterranean regions and southwest Asia. About three hundred Stachys species are reported ; 34 of them are found in Iran, of which 13 are endemic [2, 3]. Several Stachys species are used in Iranian folk medicine as medicinal plants . In addition, pharmacological studies confirmed that extracts or components of plants belonging to the genus Stachys exert significant antibacterial , anti-inflammatory , antitoxic [7, 8] and anti-anoxia  effects.
Biosystematic and chemotaxonomic studies have been carried out on Stachys species in which flavonoids and flavonoid glycosides, quinones, iridoids, phenolic acids, diterpenoids, and essential oils were reported [5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14]. As Stachys atherocalyx and Stachys sylvatica are used in Iranian folk medicine and potentially have medical importance, we decided to make an analysis of their essential oil composition.
KeywordsLinalool Geranyl Acetate Caryophyllene Oxide Linalyl Acetate Spathulenol
This work was supported by a grant from the Institute of Medicinal Plants (ACECR). The authors are grateful for their collaboration.
- 1.W. C. Evans, Trease and Evans’ Pharmacognosy, 13th ed, Bailliere Tindall, London, 1989, 217 pp.Google Scholar
- 2.V. Mozaffarian, A Dictionary of Iranian Plant Names, Farhang Moaser, Tehran 1996, 522 pp.Google Scholar
- 3.K. H. Rechinger, Flora Iranica, Akademische Druck-u. Graz, Vol. 150, 1982, 354–396 pp.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Zargari, Medicinal Plants, Vol. 4, 4th ed., Tehran University Publications, Tehran, 1990, 123 pp.Google Scholar
- 6.Sh. Rezazadeh, A. Kebryaeezadeh, M. Pirali–Hamedani, A. Shafiee, and S. Gharuni Isfahani, DARU 13 (4), 168 (2005).Google Scholar
- 12.J. C. Chalchat, S. D. Petrovic, Z. A. Maksimovic, and M. S. Gorunovic, J. Essent. Oil Res., 13, 286 (2001).Google Scholar
- 16.S. E. Sajjadi and I. Mehregan, Iranian J. Pharm. Res., 2, 57 (2003)Google Scholar