Barriers to Evidence-Based Practice Implementation: Results of a Qualitative Study
- 1.9k Downloads
This study reports on a qualitative study of barriers to EBP implementation in one state that sought to implement supported employment and integrated dual diagnosis treatment. The study found that the most significant obstacles emanated from the behavior of supervisors, front-line staff and other professionals in the agency. A lack of synergy profoundly impeded implementation.
KeywordsEvidence based practice Implementation Mental health
The authors would like to thank Professor Edward Canda from The University of Kansas School of Social Welfare, and Rob Whitley and Greg McHugo from the Dartmouth College Psychiatric Research Center for their assistance with this paper.
- Drake, R. E., Rapp, C. A., & Bond, G. R. (2002). General organizational index. National Evidence-Based Practice Project Implementation Resource Kits (R. E. Drake, Principle Investigator). Rockville, MD: SAMHSA.Google Scholar
- Kessler, R. C., Berglund, P. A., Zhao, S., Leaf, P. J., Kouzis, A. C., Bruce, M. L., et al. (1996). The 12-month prevalence and correlates of serious mental illness. In R. W. Manderscheid & M. A. Sonnenschein (Eds.), Mental health, United States (pp. 59–70). Washington DC: US Government Printing Office. (DHHS Publication No. [SMA] 96–3098).Google Scholar
- Lincoln, S. L., & Guba, E. G. (1985). Naturalistic inquiry. Newbury Park: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- McHugo, G. J., Drake Whitley, R., Bond, G. R., Campbell, K., Rapp, C. A., Goldman, H. H., Lutz, W. J., & Finnerty, M. T. (2007). Fidelity outcomes in the National Implementing Evidence-Based Practices Project. Psychiatric Services (in press).Google Scholar
- Muhr, T., & Friese, S. (2004). User’s manual for ATLAS.ti 5.0. Berlin, Germany: ATLAS.ti Scientific Software Development.Google Scholar
- President’s New Freedom Commission on Mental Health. (2003). Achieving the promise: Transforming mental health care in America. DHHS Publication No. SMA-03-3832, Rockville, MD.Google Scholar
- Rapp, C. A., & Goscha, R. (2006). The strengths model: Case management with people with psychiatric disabilities (2nd ed.). New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Strauss, S., & Corbin, J. (1990). Basis of qualitative research. Newbury Park, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). (2004). Results from the 2003 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: National Findings. Rockville, MD: Office of Applied Studies.Google Scholar
- Torrey, W. C., & Gorman, P. G. (2005). Closing the gap between what services are and what they could be. In R. E. Drake, M. R. Merrans, & D. W. Lynde (Eds.), Evidence-based mental health practice (pp. 167–188). New York: W. W. Norton.Google Scholar
- US Department of Health and Human Services (DHHHS). (1999). A report of the surgeon general. Washington, DC: Author.Google Scholar