What Contribution Can Ordinary People Make to National Mental Health Policies?
Recent development practice has begun to demonstrate the possibilities of local communities engaging in local mental health policy and has been the subject of much research. The challenge now is to apply this grassroots learning to the development of national mental health policy and thus address the gap between the top-down and bottom-up styles of policy-making. This report describes the progress and achievements of grassroots organisations and people with mental health problems in Romania in developing policies to promote community-based mental health services at a national level.
Keywordsmental health policy Romania
- Barham, P., & Hayward, R. (1995) Relocating madness. London: FAB. Google Scholar
- Brown P. (Ed.) (1985) Mental health care and social policy. London: RKPGoogle Scholar
- Bell A. & Lindley P. (Eds.) (2005) Beyond the water towers. London: Sainsbury Centre for Mental HealthGoogle Scholar
- Centre for Reflection on Mental Health Policy (2005). Policy Position Paper 1, Retrieved January 12, 2006, from: http://www.interaction.uk.net Google Scholar
- Cutler, P., Hayward, R., & Shears, J. (2003) Building for the future. London: Hamlet PressGoogle Scholar
- Hudson, J., & Lowe, S. (2004) Understanding the policy process. Bristol: Policy PressGoogle Scholar
- Jones, K. (1988) Experience in mental health. London: SageGoogle Scholar
- Knapp, M., McDaid, D., Mossialos, E., & Thornicroft, G. (2007) Mental health policy and practice across Europe. Buckingham: Open University PressGoogle Scholar
- Orizonturi (2005)a. The declaration on reforming mental health policy (The Iasi Declaration) InterAction. Retrieved January 12, 2006 from: http://www.interaction.uk.net/home/romaniaGoogle Scholar
- Orizonturi (2005)b Re-thinking mental health policy: People, participation and power conference outcomes booklet. Suceava: InterAction PressGoogle Scholar
- Rogers, A., & Pilgrim, D. (1996) Mental health policy in Britain. Basingstoke: MacMillan PressGoogle Scholar
- Tanasan, G., Tanasan, M., Cutler, P., & Hayward, R. (2007, in press) Involving service users in mental health policy in RomaniaGoogle Scholar