A Psychoeducational Program for Children with ADHD or Depression and their Families: Results from the CMAP Feasibility Study
For children and adolescents with behavioral and emotional disorders and their families, education about their disorders and the treatments is an essential component of a comprehensive approach to their care. Education can encourage active participation in treatment, enhance adherence to treatment regimens, and provide patients and families with important coping skills. Thus, the Children’s Medication Algorithm Project (CMAP) incorporated a psychoeducational program into the medication algorithm created to improve treatment of children with ADHD and/or depression in the Texas public mental health sector. This article describes the process by which a comprehensive educational program was developed in partnership with parents and advocates. The final program is described, as well as a pilot study to examine the feasibility of implementation in four community clinics.
Keywordspshycoeducation education major depressive disorder attention deficit hyperactivity disorder Children’s Medication Algorithm Project treatment algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baumgartner, J. L., Crismon, M. L., & Lopez, M. A. (2002, June). Evaluation of a Patient and Family Education Program for Children and Adolescents with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Poster presented at the 42nd annual meeting of the New Clinical Drug Evaluation Unit (NCDEU) program of NIMH, Boca Raton, FL.Google Scholar
- Beardslee, W. R., Gladstone, T. R., Wright, E. J., Cooper, A. B. 2003A family-based approach to the prevention of depressive symptoms in children at risk: Evidence of parental and child changePediatrics112119131Google Scholar
- Greenhill, L. L., Abikoff, H. B., Arnold, L. E., Cantwell, D. P., Conners, C. K., Elliott, G., Hechtman, L., Hoza, S. P., Jensen, B, March, PS, NewCorn, JS, Pelham, W, Severe, E, Swanson, JB, Vitiello, B, Wells, K 1996Medication treatment strategies in the MTA study: Relevance to clinicians and researchersJournal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry3513041313PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Keller, M. B., Ryan, N. D., Strober, M., Klein, R. G., Kutcher, S. P., Birmaher, B., Hagino, O. R., Koplewicz, H., Carlson, G. A., Clarke, G. N., Emslie, G. J., Feinberg, D., Geller, B., Kusumakar, V., Papetheodorou, G., Sack, W. H., Sweeney, M., Wagner, K. D., Weller, E. B., Wintersa, N. C., Oakes, R., McCafferty, J. P. 2001Efficaffcy of paroxetine in the treatment of adolescent major depression: a randomized, controlled trialJournal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry40762772Google Scholar
- The MTA Cooperative Group1999Moderators and mediators of treatment response for children with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity DisorderArchives of General Psychiatry5610881096Google Scholar
- Pliszka, S. R., Lopez, M., Crismon, M. L., Toprac, M., Hughes, C. W., Emslie, G. J., Boemer, C. 2003A feasibility study of the Children’s Medication Algorithm Project (CMAP) algorithm for the treatment of ADHDJournal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry42279287PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Rouse, L. W., MacCabe, N., & Toprac, M. G. (1995). Measuring satisfaction with community-based services for children with severe emotional disturbances. In Proceedings of the 8th Annual Research Conference A System of Care for Children’s Mental Health, 95–96. Google Scholar
- Rund, B. R., Moe, L., Sollien, T., Fjell, A., Borchgrevink, T., Hallert, M., Naess, P. O. 1994The Psychosis Project: Outcome and cost-effectiveness of a psychoeducational treatment programme for schizophrenic adolescentsActa Psyciatrica Scandinavica89211218Google Scholar
- Seltzer, A., Roncari, I, Garfinkel, P 1980Effect of patient education on medication complianceCanadian Journal of Psychiatry25638645Google Scholar
- Sleator, E.K, Ullman, RK, Neuman, A 1992How do hyperactive children feel about taking stimulants and will they tell the doctorClinical Pediatrics21474479Google Scholar
- Spencer T. Biederman, J, Wilens, T, Harding, M., O’Donnell, D., Griffin, S. 1996Pharmacotherapy of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder across the life cycleJournal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry35409432Google Scholar