Two-phase flow in complicated geometries
- 259 Downloads
We study modeling two-phase flow in complicated geometries. We use modern mesh generation techniques to improve the quality of the mesh and at the same time both reduce the number of elements and capture the geometry accurately. The generated meshes consist of orthogonally optimized general hexahedras. To model the flow in general hexahedras, we use the multipoint flux mixed finite element method. As a test problem we use the Frio experiment data.
KeywordsTwo-phase flow Multipoint flux method MFMFE Finite element method FEM Mesh generation
Mathematics Subject Classifications (2010)64-04 51-04
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The University of Texas at Austin. Center for Subsurface Modeling. http://csm.ices.utexas.edu/
- 4.Arbogast, T., Bryant, S.L.: Numerical subgrid upscaling for waterflood simulations. SPE Reservoir Simulation Symposium, Houston, Texas (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Arbogast, T., Minkoff, S.E., Keenan, P.T.: An operator-based approach to upscaling the pressure equation. Computational Methods in Water Resources XII, Vol. 1: Computational Methods in Contamination and Remediation of Water Resources (Burganos et al., ed.), Computational Mechanics Publications (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Christie, M., Blunt, M.: Tenth SPE comparative solution project: a comparison of upscaling techniques. SPE Reserv. Eval. Eng. 4(4), 308–317 (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Guérillot, D., Verdière, S.: Different pressure grids for reservoir simulation in heterogeneous reservoirs. SPE Reservoir Simulation Symposium, San Antonio, Texas (1995)Google Scholar
- 13.Hovorka, S.D., Romero, M.L., Warne, A.G., Ambrose, W.A., Tremblay, T.A., Treviño, R.H., Sasson, D.: Sequestration of greenhouse gases in brine formations. Tech. rep., University of Texas at Austin, Bureau of Economic Geology (2000)Google Scholar
- 14.Verdière, S., Guérillot, D.: Dual mesh methods for multiphase flows in heterogenous media. 5th European Conference on the Mathematics of Oil Recovery, Loeben, Austria (1996)Google Scholar
- 15.Wheeler, M.F., Xue, G., Yotov, I.: Accurate cell-centered discretizations for modeling multiphase flow in porous media on general hexahedral and simplicial grids. SPE Reservoir Simulation Symposium, The Woodlands, Texas, USA (2011)Google Scholar