Epoch determination for neural network by self-organized map (SOM)
- 321 Downloads
Artificial neural networks have a wide application in many areas of science and engineering and, particularly, in geotechnical problems with some degree of success due to the fact that the mechanical behavior of rocks are not salient. They are highly nonlinear, quite complex and complicated. While applying neural network in such complicated problems, epoch determination is based on hit-and-trail basis mainly. In this paper, the effect of different number of epochs is shown on the network and a method is proposed to determine the optimum number of epoch with the help of self-organized map (SOM) to avoid overtraining of the network. Data distribution is also done with the help of SOM and a statistical analysis is made to show consistency between training and testing dataset for ensuring the optimal model performance.
KeywordsSelf-organizing map Artificial neural network Supervised learning Unsupervised learning Kohonen network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ellis, G.W., Yao, C., Zhao, R.: Neural network modeling of the mechanical behavior of sand. In: Proc., 9th Conf., ASCE Eng. Mech., pp. 421–424. ASCE, N. Y. (1992)Google Scholar
- 3.Toll, D.: Artificial Intelligence Applications in Geotechnical Engineering. Geotechnical System Group, University of Durham, Durham (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Arora, V.K.: Strength and deformation behavior of jointed rocks. Ph.D. thesis, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, India (1987)Google Scholar
- 5.Yaji, R.K.: Shear strength and deformation of jointed rocks. Ph.D. thesis, Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, India (1984)Google Scholar
- 6.Roy, N.: Engineering behavior of rock masses through study of jointed models. Ph.D. thesis, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, India (1993)Google Scholar
- 7.Einstein, H.H., Hirscfeld, R.C.: Models studies in mechanics of jointed rocks. J. Soil Mech. Found. Div. ASCE 99, 229–248 (1973)Google Scholar
- 8.Brown, E.T., Trollope, D.H.: Strength of models of jointed rock. J. Soil Mech. Found. Div. ASCE SM2 96, 685–704 (1970)Google Scholar
- 9.Demuth, H., Beale, M.: Neural Network Toolbox for Use with MATLAB. MathWorks, Natick (1998)Google Scholar