Non-Steady-State Temperature Field of the Vapor-Gas Mixture in the Vicinity of a Growing Droplet: Balance of the Heat of Phase Transition
The non-steady-state temperature field of the vapor-gas medium in the vicinity of a droplet growing in supersaturated vapor is constructed. In the conduction problem, a time-dependent boundary condition is used which ensures the fulfillment of the balance condition of the heat of phase transition. The resultant temperature field is compared with the one obtained in the heat conduction problem with the equilibrium boundary condition on the surface of a droplet of a fixed radius. Although the solution with the equilibrium boundary condition does not ensure the balance between the heat released on the growing droplet and the heat distributed due to heat conduction in the vapor-gas medium, the difference between the two solutions is not very large. This difference is important for describing the homogeneous nucleation of supersaturated vapor in the vicinity of a growing droplet, as is indicated by comparison of the vapor supersaturation fields constructed with and without allowance for thermal effects, as well as with the use of solutions to the diffusion and heat conduction problems with various boundary conditions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Grinin, A.P., Kuni, F.M., and Zhuvikina, I.A., Kolloidn. Zh., 2002, vol. 64, no.6, p. 769.Google Scholar
- 2.Grinin, A.P., Zhuvikina, I.A., and Kuni, F.M., Kolloidn. Zh., 2004, vol. 66, no.2, p. 317.Google Scholar
- 3.Kuni, F.M., Grinina, E.A., and Shchekin, A.K., Kolloidn. Zh., 2003, vol. 65, no.6, p. 809.Google Scholar
- 5.Reid, R.C., Prausnitz, J.M., and Sherwood, T.K., The Properties of Gases and Liquids, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1977.Google Scholar
- 6.Stull, D.R., Vapor Pressure of Pure Substances, Ind. Eng. Chem., 1947, vol. 39, p. 517.Google Scholar
- 7.Termicheskie konstanty veshchestv. Spravochnik (Thermal Constants of Substances: A Handbook), Glushko, V.P., Ed., Moscow: VINITI Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1965–1982, nos. I–IX.Google Scholar
- 8.Rabinovich, V.A. and Khavin, Z.Ya., Kratkii khimicheskii spravochnik (Abridged Handbook of Chemistry), Leningrad: Khimiya, 1978.Google Scholar