Isolation and characterization of 18 microsatellite loci in the Egyptian vulture (Neophron percnopterus)
- 142 Downloads
We developed 18 new microsatellite loci for the endangered Egyptian vulture (Neophron percnopterus). Microsatellite loci were screened for variation in two different populations belonging to separate subspecies: the nominal N. p. percnopterus and the Canarian N. p. majorensis. Mean expected heterosygosities were respectively 0.51 and 0.46, while the mean number of alleles per locus was 4.7 and 3.9. These new markers allow further genetic studies for the endangered Canarian Egyptian Vulture.
KeywordsNeophron percnopterus Microsatellites Egyptian vulture Conservation genetics
We thank Ana Trujillano, Laura Gangoso J. Manuel Grande, Olga Ceballos, Ainara Cortés and Manuel de la Riva for their fieldwork assistance. We also thank Inés Rico for her assistance in laboratory procedures and the genomic library development. We want to thank to Cabildo of Fuerteventura and INIPRO (LIFE04 NAT/ES/000067) for their logistic facilities. This work has been financed by the Ministry of Science and Education of Spain (Project CGL2004–00270).
- BirdLife International (2007) Species factsheet: Neophron percnopterus. Downloaded from http://www.birdlife.org
- Donázar JA, Negro JJ, Palacios CJ, Gangoso L, Godoy JA, Ceballos O, Hiraldo F, Capote N (2002) Description of a new subspecies of the Egyptian vulture (Accipitridae: Neophron percnopterus) from the Canary Islands. J Raptor Res 36(1):17–23Google Scholar
- Glenn TC, Cary T, Dust M, Hauswaldt S, Prince K, Clifton R, Shute I (2000) Microsatellite isolation. http://www.uga.edu/srel/DNA_Lab/protocols.htm
- Levy N (1996) Present status, distribution and conservation trends of the Egyptian vulture (Neophron percnopterus) in the Mediterranean countries and adjacent arid regions. In: J Muntaner, J Mayol (eds) Biology and Conservation of Mediterranean Raptors (Monographic 4). Sociedad Española de Ornitología, Palma de Mallorca, microsatellite data. Mol Ecol Notes, 4:535–538 (pp 13–33)Google Scholar
- Rousset F, Raymond M (1995) Testing heterozygotes excess and deficiency. Genetic 140:1413–1419Google Scholar
- Sambrook J, Fritsch EF, Maniatis T (1989) Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual, 2nd edn. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory press, New YorkGoogle Scholar