Genetic composition of the Jadro softmouth trout following translocation into a new habitat
- 92 Downloads
Genetic founder effects of a historical translocation (1965; app. 12 generations ago) of endangered softmouth trout from the only remaining indigenous population to an adjacent uninhabited river were investigated.
A comparison of 15 microsatellites from contemporary samples in both the source and re-established populations indicated a very low level of genetic diversity within the two populations. Furthermore, considerable differences in estimates of variability and effective population sizes were detected between populations, but no recent bottlenecks were evident. Our data suggest that the re-established population has lost variation due to genetic drift associated with founder effects following the translocation. Accordingly, in relation to management, we suggest that the re-established population could serve as a secondary source of individuals to buffer possible extinction due to demographic events. Finally, conservation initiatives to enhance the census population size and increase levels of variability in the re-established population are proposed.
KeywordsTranslocation Genetic diversity Endangered population Microsatellites Conservation genetics
- Frankham R, Ballou JD, Briscoe DA (2004) A primer of conservation genetics, 1st edn. University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Goudet J (2001) FSTAT, a program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indices (version 2.9.3). http://www.unil.ch/izea/softwares/fstat.html
- Stockwell CA, Leberg PL (2002) Ecological genetics and the translocation of native fishes: emerging experimental approaches. West N Am Nat 62:32–38Google Scholar
- Sušnik S, Weiss S, Odak T, Delling B, Treer T, Snoj A (2007) Reticulate Evolution: ancient introgression of the Adriatic brown trout mtDNA in softmouth trout Salmo obtusirostris. Biol J Linn Soc In PressGoogle Scholar
- Šprem N, Tomljanović Z, Treer T (2005) Sastav ihtiocenoze rijeka Jadro I Žrnovnica u lipnju 2005. Završno izvješće. Sveučilišće u Zagrebu, HrvatskaGoogle Scholar
- Treer T, Aničić I, Safner R, Odak T, Piria M (2003) Note on growth and condition of endemic soft-muzzled trout Salmothymus obtusirostris translocated into a Dalmatian river. Biologia, Bratislava, section Zoology 58:999–1001Google Scholar
- Williams CL, Serfass TL, Cogan R, Rhodes Jr OE (2002) Microsatellite variation in the reintroduced Pennsylvania elk herd. Mol Ecol 11:1299–1310Google Scholar