Immigration as a Dynamic Experience: Personal Narratives and Clinical Implications for Family Therapists
- 137 Downloads
This is a reflective account of the experiences of the authors who immigrated to the United States from India at different developmental, historical, political, and social stages. Although their culture-of-origin was the same, the meaning and experience of immigration was different for each author. The narratives show a natural continuum of experiences based on their developmental stage during immigration, reasons for immigration, and the historical context of both India and the US at the time of immigration. A common theme is the ambivalence experienced by them in their process of creating a physical and psychological home in a different culture.
Keywordsimmigration personal narratives Asian Indian women.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akhtar, S. 1999Immigration and identity: Turmoil, treatment, and transformationJason AronsonNorthvale, NJGoogle Scholar
- Hardy, K. V., Laszloffy, T. A. 1995The cultural genogram: Key to training culturally competent family therapistsJournal of Marital & Family Therapy21227237Google Scholar
- Ibrahim, F., Ohnishi, H., Sandhu, D. S. 1997Asian American identity development: A culture specific model for South Asian AmericansJournal of Multicultural Counseling & Development253450Google Scholar
- Juthani, N. V. 1992Immigrant mental health: Conflicts and concerns of Indian immigrants in the U.S.APsychology & Developing Societies4133148Google Scholar
- Sandhu, D. S. 1997Psychocultural profiles of Asian and Pacific Islander Americans: Implications for counseling and psychotherapyJournal of Multicultural Counseling & Development25722Google Scholar
- Sue, D., Mak, W. S., Sue, D. W. 1998Ethnic identityLee, L.Zane, N. eds. Handbook of Asian American psychologySage PublicationsThousand Oaks, CA289323Google Scholar
- Sue, D. W., Sue, D. 1987Asian-Americans and Pacific IslandersPedersen, P. eds. Handbook of cross-cultural counseling and therapyGreenwood PressNew York141146Google Scholar
- United States Department of Commerce1991Bureau of the Census News, CB 91-100US Department of CommerceWashington, DCGoogle Scholar