Convex Euclidean distance embedding for collaborative position localization with NLOS mitigation
- 361 Downloads
One of the challenging problems in collaborative position localization arises when the distance measurements contain non-line-of-sight (NLOS) biases. Convex optimization has played a major role in modelling such problems and numerical algorithm developments. One of the successful examples is the semi-definite programming (SDP), which translates Euclidean distances into the constraints of positive semidefinite matrices, leading to a large number of constraints in the case of NLOS biases. In this paper, we propose a new convex optimization model that is built upon the concept of Euclidean distance matrix (EDM). The resulting EDM optimization has an advantage that its Lagrangian dual problem is well structured and hence is conducive to algorithm developments. We apply a recently proposed 3-block alternating direction method of multipliers to the dual problem and tested the algorithm on some real as well as simulated data of large scale. In particular, the EDM model significantly outperforms the existing SDP model and several others.
KeywordsEuclidean distance matrix Collaborative localization Non-line of sight (NLOS) Augmented Lagrangian Alternating direction method of multipliers (ADMM)
We would like to thank the two referees for their constructive comments that have helped to improve the quality of the paper. This work is supported in part by Engineering and Physical Science Research Council (UK) Project EP/K007645/1.
- 5.Biswas, P., Ye, Y.: Semidefinite programming for ad hoc wireless sensor network localization. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks, pp. 46–54 (2004)Google Scholar
- 16.Grant, M., Boyd, S.: CVX: Matlab software for disciplined convex programming, Version 2.1, http://cvxr.com/cvx (2015)
- 22.Jia, T., Buehrer, R.M.: Collaborative position location with NLOS mitigation, Personal. Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications Workshops (PIMRC Workshops), pp. 267–271 (2010)Google Scholar
- 25.Lu, Z.-S., Zhang, Y.: Penalty decomposition methods for \(l_0\)-norm minimization, Technical Report, http://www.optimization-online.org/DB_FILE/2010/08/2719 (2010)
- 33.Riba, J., Urruela, A.: A non-line-of-sight mitigation technique based on ML-detectionm. ICASSP 2, 153–156 (2004)Google Scholar
- 42.Vaghefi, R.M., Buehrer, R.M.: Cooperative sensor localization with NLOS mitigation using semidefinite programming. In: 2012 9th Workshop on Positioning Navigation and Communication (WPNC), pp. 13–18 (2012)Google Scholar
- 43.Vaghefi, R.M., Schloemann, J., Buehrer, R.M.: NLOS mitigation in TOA-based localization using semidefinite programming. In: Positioning Navigation and Communication (WPNC), pp. 1–6 (2013)Google Scholar
- 46.Wang, G., So, A.M-C., Li, Y.: Robust convex approximation methods for TDOA-based localization under NLOS conditions, Technical report, Department of Systems Engineering and Engineering Management, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (2014)Google Scholar
- 49.Yousefi, S., Chang, X.-W., Champagne, B.: Distributed cooperative localization in wireless sensor networks without NLOS identification. In: Positioning, Navigation and Communication (WPNC), March 2014, pp. 1–6 (2014)Google Scholar