A column generation method for the multiple-choice multi-dimensional knapsack problem
- 399 Downloads
In this paper, we propose to solve large-scale multiple-choice multi-dimensional knapsack problems. We investigate the use of the column generation and effective solution procedures. The method is in the spirit of well-known local search metaheuristics, in which the search process is composed of two complementary stages: (i) a rounding solution stage and (ii) a restricted exact solution procedure. The method is analyzed computationally on a set of problem instances of the literature and compared to the results reached by both Cplex solver and a recent reactive local search. For these instances, most of which cannot be solved to proven optimality in a reasonable runtime, the proposed method improves 21 out of 27.
KeywordsBranch-and-bound Column generation Heuristics Knapsack Optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Akbar, M.M., Sadid, M.W.H., Rahman, M.S., Newton, M.A.H., Kaykobad, M.: A Parallel heuristic algorithm for multiple-choice multi-dimensional knapsack problem. Working paper, Department of CSE, BUET, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh (2005) Google Scholar
- 3.Björklund, P., Värbrand, P., Yuan, D.: A column generation method for spatial TDMA scheduling in ad hoc networks. Working paper, Department of Science and Technology, Linköping Institute of Technology, Norrköping, Sweden. To appear in Ad Hoc Netw. Google Scholar
- 10.Kellerer, H., Pferschy, U., Pisinger, D.: Knapsack Problems. Springer, Berlin (2005). ISBN 3-540-40286-1 Google Scholar
- 11.Khan, S.: Quality adaptation in a multi-session adaptive multimedia system: model and architecture. Ph.D. thesis, Department of Electronics and Computer Engineering, University of Victoria (1998) Google Scholar
- 12.Khan, S., Li, K.F., Manning, E.G., Akbar, MD.M.: Solving the knapsack problem for adaptive multimedia systems. Int. J. Studia Inf. 2, 154–174 (2002). Special Issue on Cutting, Packing and Knapsacking Problems Google Scholar
- 14.Moser, M., Jokanović, D.P., Shiratori, N.: An algorithm for the multidimensional multiple-choice knapsack problem. IEECE Trans. Fundam. Electron. 80, 582–589 (1997) Google Scholar