Shuttle-based operating policies for multiple-lift compact automated parking systems based on queuing networks
- 195 Downloads
We study a new multiple-lift compact automated parking system, which is a new technology with a circular structure using carousel equipped with the shuttles for the horizontal movement and multiple lifts equipped with the platforms for the vertical movement. This paper investigates dedicated and random shuttles operating policies. We divided the carousel into areas based on the number of lifts. We propose a dedicated shuttle operating policy under which each area shuttles can only serve one dedicated lift. A random shuttle operating policy under which shuttles can serve any lift. We get expected throughput time models for the two shuttle operating policies under the same system physical configurations based on queuing network models. We compare the analytical models with simulation models, and the results show that the proposed models provide accurate estimates. A numerical experiment is conducted to illustrate the trade-offs between dedicated shuttle and random shuttle operating policies. The results show that the retrieval time in random shuttle operating policy is larger than the retrieval time in dedicated shuttle operating policy. We also get the optimal system structure, including the number of the lifts.
KeywordsMaterial handling Automated parking Queuing networks Performance evaluation
This research is partially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Number 71620107002), (Grant Number 71131004), and (Grant Number 71471071).
- 1.Nctv7.: World’s biggest car delivery center in Germany. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0-b-D6TCpY (2012)
- 2.Emirates: Automated car parking system in saving car crash and car parking technique. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXWrpE1Khkk (2016)
- 3.Listopedia.: 10 Most Amazing Parking Garages in the World. Automated parking system is the coolest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3CzTWMEOlU (2016)
- 4.SkyLineliechtenstein.: Robotic car parking—the world’s coolest way to park cars in the 21st century! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKUgHLsAkZA (2014)
- 5.Liechtenstein.: Robotic car parking: the world’s coolest way to park cars in the 21st century! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKUgHLsAkZA (2014)
- 10.Wu, G., Xu, X., Gong, Y., De Koster, R., Zou, B.: Optimal Planning and Design for Compact Automated Parking Systems, EMLYON Working Paper. https://doi.org/10.13140/rg.2.2.28380.90240 (2017)
- 13.Heragu, S.S., Cai, X., Krishnamurthy, A., Malmborg, C.J.: Analysis of autonomous vehicle storage and retrieval system by open queueing network. In: IEEE International Conference on Automation Science and Engineering, pp. 455–459 (2009)Google Scholar
- 24.Ekren, Y.B., Sari, Z., Rosi, B.: Simulation analysis of shuttle based storage and retrieval systems. (2015)Google Scholar
- 26.Yang, P., Miao, L.X., Qi, M.Y.: Slotting optimization in a multi-shuttle automated storage and retrieval system. Comput. Integr. Manuf. Syst. 17(5), 1050–1055 (2011)Google Scholar