A queueing model for predicting message latency in uni-directional k-ary n-cubes with deterministic routing and non-uniform traffic
- 111 Downloads
The interconnection network is one of the key architectural components in any parallel computer. The distribution of the traffic injected into the network is among the factors that greatly influences network performance. The uniform traffic pattern has been adopted in many existing network performance evaluation studies due to the tractability of the resulting analytical modelling approach. However, many real applications exhibit non-uniform traffic patterns such as hot-spot traffic. K-ary n-cubes have been the mostly widely used in the implementation of practical parallel systems. Extensive research studies have been conducted on the performance modelling and evaluation of these networks. Nonetheless, most of these studies have been confined to uniform traffic distributions and have been based on software simulation. The present paper proposes a new stochastic model to predict message latency in k-ary n-cubes with deterministic routing in the presence of hot-spot traffic. The model has been validated through simulation experiments and has shown a close agreement with simulation results.
KeywordsInterconnection networks k-ary n-cubes Deterministic routing Hot spot Performance modelling M/G/1 queueing systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Cray Research Inc.: The Cray T3E scalable parallel processing system, On Cray’s Web http://www.cray.com/PUBLIC/productinfo/T3E/CRAY_T3E.html
- 9.Fillo, M., Keckler, S.W., Dally, W.J., Carter, N.P., Chang, A., Gurevich, Y., Lee, W.S.: The M-Machine multicomputer. J. Parallel Program. 25(3), 183–212 (1997) Google Scholar
- 10.Greenberg, R., Guan, L.: Modelling and comparison of wormhole-routed mesh and torus networks. In: Proceedings of the 9th Int. Conf. Parallel and Distributed Computing and Systems, 1997 Google Scholar
- 11.Kessler, R.E., Swarszmeier, J.L.: Cray T3D: A new dimension for Cray Research. In: Proceedings Compcon, 1993, pp. 176–182 Google Scholar
- 12.Kleinrock L.: Queueing Syst., vol. 1. Wiley, New York (1975) Google Scholar
- 13.Laudon, J., Lenoski, D.: The SGI Origin a ccNUMA highly scalable server. In: Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE 24th Int. Symp. Computer Architecture, 1997, pp. 241–251 Google Scholar
- 17.Ni, L.M., McKinley, K.: A Survey of wormhole routing techniques in direct networks. IEEE Comput. 26, 62–76 (1993) Google Scholar
- 18.Noakes, M., et al.: The J-Machine multicomputer: An architectural evaluation. In: Proceedings of the 20th Int. Symp. Computer Architecture, 1993 Google Scholar
- 19.N Cube-2, N CUBE Company, N CUBE 6400 Processor Manual (1990) Google Scholar
- 23.Pfister, G.J., Norton, V.A.: Hot-spot contention and combining in multistage interconnection networks. IEEE Trans. Comput. 34(10), 943–948 (1985) Google Scholar