Podoplanin expressing cancer associated fibroblasts are associated with unfavourable prognosis in adenocarcinoma of the esophagus
- 600 Downloads
Overexpression of the mucin-type sialoglycoprotein podoplanin in cancer associated fibroblasts (CAFs) was recently shown to be associated with tumor progression, metastasis and poor prognosis in lung and breast cancer. Here we investigate the role of podoplanin expressing CAFs in esophagal adenocarcinoma (AC), its precursor lesions and metastases. Podoplanin expression was investigated immunohistochemically in 200 formalin-fixed, paraffin embedded specimens of invasive esophagal ACs, their corresponding metastases and 35 precursor lesions. Podoplanin expressing CAFs (CAF+) were observed in 22 % of patients with invasive AC, but not in precursor lesions. CAF+ correlated with tumor stage (p = 0.004), lymphovascular tumor invasion (p = 0.018) and lymph node metastasis (p = 0.0016). Patients with CAF+ had a significant shorter disease free and overall survival (p < 0.05, Cox regression). Podoplanin expressing CAFs were only rarely observed in lymph node and distant metastases, as well as in local recurrences of ACs. Podoplanin expression in AC tumor cells was seen in only four cases. In around 20 % of patients with esophagal AC, podoplanin expressing CAFs are evident, defining a high risk subgroup. In these patients, podoplanin expressing CAFs might represent new therapeutical targets.
KeywordsPodoplanin Esophagal cancer Cancer associated fibroblasts Prognosis
Conflict of interest
The authors declare to have no conflicts of interest.
- 5.Hasebe T, Sasaki S, Imoto S, Ochiai A (2000) Proliferative activity of intratumoral fibroblasts is closely correlated with lymph node and distant organ metastases of invasive ductal carcinoma of the breast. Am J Pathol 156(5):1701–1710. doi: 10.1016/S0002-9440(10)65041-9 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Hoshino A, Ishii G, Ito T, Aoyagi K, Ohtaki Y, Nagai K, Sasaki H, Ochiai A (2011) Podoplanin-positive fibroblasts enhance lung adenocarcinoma tumor formation: podoplanin in fibroblast functions for tumor progression. Cancer Res 71(14):4769–4779. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-10-3228 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Kawase A, Ishii G, Nagai K, Ito T, Nagano T, Murata Y, Hishida T, Nishimura M, Yoshida J, Suzuki K, Ochiai A (2008) Podoplanin expression by cancer associated fibroblasts predicts poor prognosis of lung adenocarcinoma. Int J Cancer 123(5):1053–1059. doi: 10.1002/ijc.23611 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Schoppmann SF, Berghoff A, Dinhof C, Jakesz R, Gnant M, Dubsky P, Jesch B, Heinzl H, Birner P (2012) Podoplanin-expressing cancer-associated fibroblasts are associated with poor prognosis in invasive breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 134(1):237–244. doi: 10.1007/s10549-012-1984-x PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Schoppmann SF, Berghoff AS, Jesch B, Zacherl J, Nirtl N, Jomrich G, Maroske F, Streubel B, Mesteri I, Birner P (2012) Expression of podoplanin is a rare event in sporadic gastrointestinal stromal tumors and does not influence prognosis. Future Oncol 8(7):859–866. doi: 10.2217/fon.12.71 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Kitano H, Kageyama S, Hewitt SM, Hayashi R, Doki Y, Ozaki Y, Fujino S, Takikita M, Kubo H, Fukuoka J (2010) Podoplanin expression in cancerous stroma induces lymphangiogenesis and predicts lymphatic spread and patient survival. Arch Pathol Lab Med 134(10):1520–1527. doi: 10.1043/2009-0114-OA.1 PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Yamanashi T, Nakanishi Y, Fujii G, Akishima-Fukasawa Y, Moriya Y, Kanai Y, Watanabe M, Hirohashi S (2009) Podoplanin expression identified in stromal fibroblasts as a favorable prognostic marker in patients with colorectal carcinoma. Oncology 77(1):53–62. doi: 10.1159/000226112 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Neri S, Ishii G, Taira T, Hishida T, Yoshida J, Nishimura M, Nagai K, Ochiai A (2012) Recruitment of podoplanin positive cancer-associated fibroblasts in metastatic lymph nodes predicts poor prognosis in pathological N2 stage III lung adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol. doi: 10.1245/s10434-012-2421-4 Google Scholar
- 30.Fernandez-Munoz B, Yurrita MM, Martin-Villar E, Carrasco-Ramirez P, Megias D, Renart J, Quintanilla M (2011) The transmembrane domain of podoplanin is required for its association with lipid rafts and the induction of epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 43(6):886–896. doi: 10.1016/j.biocel.2011.02.010 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar