Temperatures across Europe: evidence of time trends
This paper deals with the analysis of the temperatures in a group of 29 stations located in twelve European countries by looking at the coefficients in a linear time trend regression model and allowing for long memory patterns in the error term. The results indicate that long memory is present in practically all cases, and the time trend coefficients are statistically significant in the majority of the cases implying evidence of increasing warming trends. This pattern is particularly noticeable in the case of several stations located across Italy and France, which might be related with micro climates affecting these regions.
KeywordsEuropean temperatures Long memory Time trends
Comments from the Editor and three anonymous reviewers are gratefully acknowledged.
Prof. Luis A. Gil-Alana gratefully acknowledges financial support from the Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad (ECO2017-85503-R).
- Delvaux C, Ingels R, Vrábeĺ V, Journée M, Bertrand C (2018) Quality control and homogenization of the Belgian historical temperature data. Int J Climatol. https://doi.org/10.1002/joc.5792
- Gibelin A-L, Dubuisson B, Corre L, Deaux N, Jourdain S, Laval L, Piquemal J-M, Mestre O, Dennetière D, Desmidt S, Tamburini A (2014) Evolution de la température en France depuis les années 1950: Constitution d’un nouveau jeu de séries homogénéisées de référence. La Météorologie 87:45–53. https://doi.org/10.4267/2042/54336 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gil-Alana LA (2010) Climate change in the Iberian Peninsula. Evidence based on fractional integration techniques. Seguridad y Medio Ambiente 117(1):50–62Google Scholar
- IPCC (2014) Climate Change 2014: synthesis report. Contribution of Working Groups I, II and III to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. IPCC, Geneva, Switzerland, 151 ppGoogle Scholar
- Mariani, L., and Zavatti, F. (2017), A dataset of the European average temperature anomalies for the period 1655-2016, Climatemonitor.Google Scholar
- Shen Z, Shi J, Lei Y (2017) Comparison of the long range climate memory in outgoing lognwage radiation over the Tibetan plateau and the Indian monsoon region. Adv Meteorol 7637351:1–7Google Scholar
- Whittle P (1951) Hypothesis testing in time series analysis. Uppsala, Almqvist & Wiksells Boktrycheri ABGoogle Scholar