Enhanced Weathering: An Effective and Cheap Tool to Sequester Co2
- 2.6k Downloads
Weathering and subsequent precipitation of Ca- and Mg-carbonates are the main processes that control the CO2-concentration in the atmosphere. It seems logical, therefore, to use enhanced weathering as a tool to reduce rising CO2-levels. This can be applied as a technology, by reacting captured CO2 with olivine or calcium-silicates in autoclaves. It can also be applied extensively, by spreading fine-powdered olivine on farmland or forestland. Measures to control the CO2-levels of the atmosphere will be adopted more readily if they also serve some broader economic goals. An effective strategy for CO2 control will require many parallel approaches simultaneously.
KeywordsOlivine Asbestos Acid Rain Chrysotile Mekong Delta
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Churg, A.: 1993, ‘Asbestos lung burden and disease pattern in man’, Rev. Mineralogy 28, 409–426.Google Scholar
- Goldberg, P., Romanosky, R., and Zhong-Ying Chen: 2001, CO2 Mineral Sequestration Studies in the US. Abstr.First National Conference on Carbon Sequestration. May 14–17, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Holland, H. D.: 1984, The Chemical Evolution of the Atmosphere and Oceans, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.Google Scholar
- Jonckbloedt, R. C. L.: 1997, The Dissolution of Olivine in Acid. A Cost Effective Process for the Elimination of Waste Acids. PhD – Thesis, Utrecht, 114 pp.Google Scholar
- Lackner, K. S., Butt, D. P., Wendt, C. H., Goff, F. and Guthrie, G.: 1997, Carbon dioxide disposal in mineral form. Keeping coal competitive. Report Los Alamos National Laboratory, November 1997.Google Scholar
- Lieftink, D. J.: 1997, The preparation and characterization of silica from acid treatment of olivine. PhD Thesis, Utrecht, 175 pp.Google Scholar
- Orgun, Y., Gultekin, A. M., Cevik, E., and Copuroglu, M.: 2004, Mineralogic and geochemical characteristics of the Orhaneli dunite and its importance in point of olivine, Orhaneli-Bursa, western Anatolia, Turkey. 5th International Symposiumon Eastern Mediterranean Geology, Thessaloniki, Greece.Google Scholar
- Schuiling, R. D., Van Herk, J., and Pietersen, H. S.: 1986, ‘A potential process for the neutralization of industrial waste acids by reaction with olivine’, Geologie & Mijnbouw 65, 243–246.Google Scholar
- Schuiling, R. D., and Andrade, A.: 1999, ‘Recovery of struvite from calf manure’, Env. Techn. 20, 765–768.Google Scholar