Proton affinities of simple organic compounds
The Restricted Hatree-Fock method with 6-311G** split-valence molecular orbitals basis sets has been applied to geometrical optimizations and calculations of total electronic, zero point vibrational energies and proton affinities at 298 K for small neutral and protonated alkanes, alcohols, acetic acid, methyl and ethyl acetate, acetone, and acetaldehyde. Calculated values of proton affinities are compared with experimental data.
Key wordsproton affinity ionization processes
- R. Stewart: The Proton: Appellation to Organic Chemistry. Academic Press, New York 1985.Google Scholar
- F. A. Carrol: Perspectives on Structure and Mechanism in Organic Chemistry. Brooks-Cole, New York 1998.Google Scholar
- D. A. Dixon; S. G. Lias: In: Molecular Structure and Energetics, Vol. 2, Physical Measurements; J. F. Liebman, A. Greenberg, Eds., VCH, Deereld Beach, FL, 1987.Google Scholar
- D. A. McQuarrie: Statistical Mechanics, Harper & Row, New York 1976.Google Scholar
- National Institute of Standards and Technology, http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/pa-ser.html.