Plagiarism and authorship analysis: introduction to the special issue
- 273 Downloads
Authorship attribution and plagiarism analysis
The Internet has facilitated both the dissemination of anonymous texts as well as easy “borrowing” of ideas and words of others. This has raised a number of important questions regarding authorship. Can we identify the anonymous author of a text by comparing the text with the writings of known authors? Can we determine if a text, or parts of it, has been plagiarized? Such questions are clearly of both academic and commercial importance.
The task of determining or verifying the authorship of an anonymous text based solely on internal evidence is a very old one, dating back at least to the medieval scholastics, for whom the reliable attribution of a given text to a known ancient authority was essential to determining the text’s veracity. More recently, the problem of authorship attribution has gained greater prominence due to new applications in forensic analysis, humanities scholarship, and electronic commerce, and the development of...
KeywordsVerification Problem Plagiarism Detection Information Retrieval Method Multivariate Discriminant Analysis Statistical Machine Learn
The editors gratefully thank Benno Stein, co-organizer of the PAN workshops, for his invaluable assistance throughout the editing process. Many thanks to Paolo Rosso (co-organizer of PAN-09, and PAN-10), Martin Potthast and Alberto Barron-Cedeno (co-organizers of the competition on plagiarism detection held in conjunction with PAN-09 and PAN-10).
- Potthast, M., Stein, B., Barrón-Cedeño, A., & Rosso, P. (2010). An evaluation framework for plagiarism detection. In: Proceedings of the 23rd international conference on computational linguistics (COLING 2010), Association for computational linguistics, pp. 997–1005.Google Scholar
- Stein, B., Koppel, M., & Stamatatos, E. (Eds.). (2007). Plagiarism analysis, authorship identification, and near-duplicate detection (PAN-07). SIGIR Forum, 41(2), 68–71, ACM.Google Scholar
- Stein, B., Stamatatos, E., & Koppel, M. (Eds.). (2008). ECAI 2008 Workshop on uncovering plagiarism, authorship, and social software misuse (PAN-08).Google Scholar
- Stein, B., Rosso, P., Stamatatos, E., Koppel, M., & Agirre, E. (Eds.). (2009). SEPLN 2009 Workshop on uncovering plagiarism, authorship, and social software misuse (PAN-09).Google Scholar
- Stein, B., Rosso, P., Stamatatos, E., & Koppel, M. (Eds.). (2010). CLEF 2010 Workshop on uncovering plagiarism, authorship, and social software misuse (PAN-10).Google Scholar