The distribution of α-kleisin during meiosis in the holocentromeric plant Luzula elegans
- 484 Downloads
Holocentric chromosomes occur in a number of independent eukaryotic lineages, and they form holokinetic kinetochores along the entire poleward chromatid surfaces. Due to this alternative chromosome structure, Luzula elegans sister chromatids segregate already in anaphase I followed by the segregation of the homologues in anaphase II. However, not yet known is the localization and dynamics of cohesin and the structure of the synaptonemal complex (SC) during meiosis. We show here that the α-kleisin subunit of cohesin localizes at the centromeres of both mitotic and meiotic metaphase chromosomes and that it, thus, may contribute to assemble the centromere in L. elegans. This localization and the formation of a tripartite SC structure indicate that the prophase I behaviour of L. elegans is similar as in monocentric species.
KeywordsHolocentric chromosome α-kleisin Synaptonemal complex Luzula elegans CENH3
Polymerase chain reaction
Structured illumination microscopy
Structural maintenance of chromosome
Rapid amplification of cDNA ends
We are grateful to all members of the Chromosome Structure & Function laboratory (IPK Gatersleben), Ingo Schubert (IPK) and E-Eva Tomaštíková (Centre of the Region Haná for Biotechnological and Agricultural, Research, Institute of Experimental Botany, Olomouc, Czech Republic) for fruitful discussions; to Karla Meier, Katrin Kumke, Oda Weiß, Isolde Tillack and Gresch Ulrike (IPK) for excellent technical assistance; to Anne Fiebig for sequence submission; and to Karin Lipfert (IPK) for help with artwork. This work was supported by the China CSC scholarship, the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (SPP 1384, HO 1779/17-1) and the IPK Gatersleben.
- Calvente A, Barbero JL (2012) Cohesins and cohesin-regulators in meiosis. INTECH Open Access PublisherGoogle Scholar
- Garcia-Cruz R, Brieno MA, Roig I, et al (2010) Dynamics of cohesin proteins REC8, STAG3, SMC1β and SMC3 are consistent with a role in sister chromatid cohesion during meiosis in human oocytes. Human Reproduction: deq180.Google Scholar
- Heckmann S, Schroeder-Reiter E, Kumke K, Ma L, Nagaki K, Murata M, Wanner G, Houben A (2011) Holocentric chromosomes of Luzula elegans are characterized by a longitudinal centromere groove, chromosome bending, and a terminal nucleolus organizer region. Cytogenet Genome Res 134:220–228CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Weisshart K, Fuchs J, Schubert V (2016) Structured illumination microscopy (SIM) and photoactivated localization microscopy (PALM) to analyze the abundance and distribution of RNA polymerase II molecules on flow-sorted Arabidopsis nuclei. Bio-protocol 6, e1725Google Scholar
- Westergaard M, von Wettstein D (1972) The synaptonemal complex. Annu Rev Genet 60:533–554Google Scholar