chromDraw: an R package for visualization of linear and circular karyotypes
- 702 Downloads
Species-specific sets of chromosomes—karyotypes—are traditionally depicted as linear ideograms with individual chromosomes represented by vertical bars. However, linear visualization has its limitations when the shared collinearity and/or chromosomal rearrangements differentiating two or more karyotypes need to be demonstrated. In these instances, circular visualization might provide easier comprehension and interpretation of inter-species chromosomal collinearity. The chromDraw graphical tool was developed as a user-friendly graphical tool for visualizing both linear and circular karyotypes based on the same input data matrix. The output graphics, saved in two different formats (EPS and SVG), can be easily imported to and modified in presentation and image-editing computer programs. The tool is freely distributed under GNU General Public License (GPL) and can be installed from Bioconductor or from the chromDraw home page.
KeywordsVisualization Chromosome Karyotype R
Browser Extensible Display
General Public License
Programming language and software environment
Red, green, blue
Scalable Vector Graphic
We thank Dr Terezie Mandáková and Petra Hloušková for helpful suggestions and comments on the functionality of the chromDraw package. Drs Matej Lexa and Jiří Hon are acknowledged for ideas on how to expand the package and for introduction to the R world, respectively. This research was supported by a grant from the Czech Science Foundation (P501/12/G090) and by European Social Fund (CZ.1.07/2.3.00/20.0189).
- Bioconductor PM (2014) BiocCheck: Bioconductor-specific package checks. [Software]. R package version 1.1.9Google Scholar
- Eddelbuettel D, François R, Allaire J, Chambers J, Bates D, Ushey K (2011) Rcpp: Seamless R and C++ integration. J Stat Softw 40:1–18Google Scholar
- Fourey S (2014) LibBoard: a vector graphics C++ library (Version 0.9.0). [Software]. GREYC LaboratoryGoogle Scholar
- Tenenbaum D, Team B (2014) BiocInstaller: Install/Update Bioconductor and CRAN Packages. [Software]. R package version 1.15.5Google Scholar
- Yin T, Cook D, Lawrence M (2012) ggbio: an R package for extending the grammar of graphics for genomic data. Genome Biology 13: R77Google Scholar