Epigenetic regulation by long noncoding RNAs in plants
- 1.6k Downloads
Many eukaryotes, including plants, produce a large number of long noncoding RNAs (lncRNAs). Growing number of lncRNAs are being reported to have regulatory roles in various developmental processes. Emerging mechanisms underlying the function of lncRNAs indicate that lncRNAs are versatile regulatory molecules. They function as potent cis- and trans-regulators of gene expression, including the formation of modular scaffolds that recruit chromatin-modifying complexes to target chromatin. LncRNAs have also been reported in plants. Here, we describe our current understanding on potential roles of lncRNA in plants.
KeywordsLong noncoding RNA (lncRNA) Chromatin modification RNA-seq Gene silencing Gene activation
Long noncoding RNA
Small interfering RNA
Long intergenic ncRNA
Polycomb repressive complex 2
J.B. Heo is supported by a grant from the Next-Generation BioGreen 21 Program (SSAC, grant no.: PJ00951601) and by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF-MEST no. 2011–0013137). S. Sung is supported by the University of Texas at Austin, National Science Foundation (IOS-0950785) and National Institute of Health (R01GM100108).
- Alvarez-Venegas R, Avramova Z (2001) Two Arabidopsis homologs of the animal trithorax genes: a new structural domain is a signature feature of the trithorax gene family. Gene 271:215–221Google Scholar
- Berr A, Xu L, Gao J, Cognat V, Steinmetz A, Dong A, Shen WH (2009) SET DOMAIN GROUP25 encodes a histone methyltransferase and is involved in FLOWERING LOCUS C activation and repression of flowering. Plant Physiol 151: 1476–1485Google Scholar
- De Lucia F, Dean C (2010) Long non-coding RNAs and chromatin regulation. Curr Opin Plant Biol 14:168–173Google Scholar
- Mylne JS, Barrett L, Tessadori F, Mesnage S, Johnson L, 607 Bernatavichute YV, Jacobsen SE, Fransz P, Dean C 608 (2006) LHP1, the Arabidopsis homologue of 609 HETEROCHROMATIN PROTEIN1, is required for epige- 610 netic silencing of FLC. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:5012– 611 5017Google Scholar
- Paul J, Duerksen JD (1975) Chromatin-associated RNA content of heterochromatin and euchromatin. Mol Cell Biochem 9:9–16Google Scholar
- Tripathi V, Ellis JD, Shen Z, Song DY, Pan Q (2010) The nuclear-retained noncoding RNA MALAT1 regulates alternative splicing by modulating SR splicing factor phosphorylation. Mol Cell 39:925–938Google Scholar