On the positions of centromeres in chicken lampbrush chromosomes
Using immunostaining with antibodies against cohesin subunits, we show here that cohesin-enriched structures analogous to the so-called centromere protein bodies (PB) are the characteristic of galliform lampbrush chromosomes. Their centromeric location was verified by FISH with certain DNA probes. PB-like structures were used as markers for centromere localization in chicken lampbrush chromosomes. The gap predicted to be centromeric in current chicken chromosome 3 sequence assembly was found to correspond to the non-centromeric cluster of CNM repeat on the q-arm of chromosome 3; the centromere is proposed to be placed at another position. The majority of chicken microchromosomes were found to be acrocentric, in contrast to Japanese quail microchromosomes which are biarmed. Centromere cohesin-enriched structures on chicken and quail lampbrush microchromosomes co-localize with pericentromeric CNM and BglII− repeats respectively. FISH to the nascent transcripts on chicken lampbrush chromosomes revealed numerous non-centromeric CNM clusters in addition to pericentromeric arrays. Complementary CNM transcripts from both C- and G-rich DNA strands were revealed during the lampbrush stage.
Key wordscentromere chicken CNM cohesin lampbrush chromosome
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Callan HG (1986) Lampbrush Chromosomes. Berlin: Springer Verlag.Google Scholar
- Gaginskaya ER (1972) Nuclear structures in oocytes of adult birds. II. Protein bodies and the karyosphere. Tsitologiia 14: 568–578.Google Scholar
- Gaginskaya ER, Gruzova MN (1969) Characteristics of oogenesis in the finch. Tsitologiia 11: 1241–1251.Google Scholar
- Galkina S, Deryusheva S, Fillon V et al. (2006) FISH on avian lampbrush chromosomes produces higher resolution gene mapping. Genetica DOI http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10709-005-5776-7.
- Kropotova EV, Gaginskaya ER (1984) Lampbrush chromosomes from the Japanese quail oocytes. Tsitologiia 26: 1008–1015.Google Scholar
- Macgregor HC (1986) The lampbrush chromosomes of animal oocytes. In Risley MS, ed., Chromosome Structure and Function. New York: Van Rostrand Reinhold, pp. 152–186.Google Scholar
- Macgregor HC (2002) Lampbrush Chromosomes. Retrieved from http://www.exeter.ac.uk/projects/lampbrush/.
- Myakoshina YuA, Rodionov AV (1994) Meiotic lampbrush chromosomes in turkey, Meleagris gallopavo (Galliformes: Meleagrididae). Genetika 30: 577–583.Google Scholar
- Solari AJ (1980) El cariotipado ultrastructural. Actas IV Congr. Latinoam. Genetica 2: 171–178.Google Scholar