IL-17 Stimulates Migration of Carotid Artery Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells in an MMP-9 Dependent Manner via p38 MAPK and ERK1/2-Dependent NF-κB and AP-1 Activation
- 596 Downloads
Inappropriate vascular remodeling is thought to be the main cause of restenosis following angioplasty. Migration of vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMC) into lumina, which is promoted by degradation of the extracellular matrix by matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) plays a causal role in pathological vascular remodeling. The aim of the present research is to explore the effects of a novel cytokine, IL-17, on migration of VSMC and MMP-9 secretion. Carotid artery VSMC was isolated from Sprague–Dawley rats. Expression of MMP-9 and cell migration induced by IL-17 and its related signal pathway were detected. The results showed that IL-17-induced migration of VSMC in an MMP-9-dependent manner. IL-17-induced MMP-9 expression was via p38 MAPK and ERK1/2 dependent NF-κB and AP-1 activation. The present results demonstrated that IL-17 may play a role in vascular remodeling and targeting IL-17 or its specific downstream mediators is a potentially novel therapeutic pathway for attenuating the post-angioplastic restenosis.
KeywordsVascular remodeling IL-17 MMP-9 Restenosis
We would like to express our appreciations to Sun Zhidan for his excellent technical assistance and Li Wen for her revision of the draft. This research was sponsored partly by the Heilongjiang Youth Fund (QC07C100) and Special Fund of The First Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University (2007035).
- Chandrasekar B, Mummidi S, Mahimainathan L, Patel DN, Bailey SR, Imam SZ, Greene WC, Valente AJ (2006) Interleukin-18-induced human coronary artery smooth muscle cell migration is dependent on NF-kappaB- and AP-1-mediated matrix metalloproteinase-9 expression and is inhibited by atorvastatin. J Biol Chem 281:15099–15109. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M600200200 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Cortez DM, Feldman MD, Mummidi S, Valente AJ, Steffensen B, Vincenti M, Barnes JL, Chandrasekar B (2007) IL-17 stimulates MMP-1 expression in primary human cardiac fibroblasts via p38 MAPK- and ERK1/2-dependent C/EBP-beta, NF-kappaB, and AP-1 activation. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:H3356–H3365. doi: 10.1152/ajpheart.00928.2007 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Eberhardt W, Huwiler A, Beck KF, Walpen S, Pfeilschifter J (2000) Amplification of IL-1 beta-induced matrix metalloproteinase-9 expression by superoxide in rat glomerular mesangial cells is mediated by increased activities of NF-kappa B and activating protein-1 and involves activation of the mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways. J Immunol 165:5788–5797PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Liang KC, Lee CW, Lin WN, Lin CC, Wu CB, Luo SF, Yang CM (2007) Interleukin-1beta induces MMP-9 expression via p42/p44 MAPK, p38 MAPK, JNK, and nuclear factor-kappaB signaling pathways in human tracheal smooth muscle cells. J Cell Physiol 211:759–770. doi: 10.1002/jcp.20992 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mnjoyan ZH, Doan D, Brandon JL, Felix K, Sitter CL, Rege AA, Brock TA, Fujise K (2008) The critical role of the intrinsic VSMC proliferation and death programs in injury-induced neointimal hyperplasia. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H2276–H2284. doi: 10.1152/ajpheart.91527.2007 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Moon SK, Cha BY, Kim CH (2004) ERK1/2 mediates TNF-alpha-induced matrix metalloproteinase-9 expression in human vascular smooth muscle cells via the regulation of NF-kappaB and AP-1: Involvement of the ras dependent pathway. J Cell Physiol 198:417–427. doi: 10.1002/jcp.10435 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Patel DN, King CA, Bailey SR, Holt JW, Venkatachalam K, Agrawal A, Valente AJ, Chandrasekar B (2007) Interleukin-17 stimulates C-reactive protein expression in hepatocytes and smooth muscle cells via p38 MAPK and ERK1/2-dependent NF-kappaB and C/EBPbeta activation. J Biol Chem 282:27229–27238. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M703250200 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar