Study of the transfer between libration point orbits and lunar orbits in Earth–Moon system
- 478 Downloads
This paper is devoted to the study of the transfer problem from a libration point orbit of the Earth–Moon system to an orbit around the Moon. The transfer procedure analysed has two legs: the first one is an orbit of the unstable manifold of the libration orbit and the second one is a transfer orbit between a certain point on the manifold and the final lunar orbit. There are only two manoeuvres involved in the method and they are applied at the beginning and at the end of the second leg. Although the numerical results given in this paper correspond to transfers between halo orbits around the \(L_1\) point (of several amplitudes) and lunar polar orbits with altitudes varying between 100 and 500 km, the procedure we develop can be applied to any kind of lunar orbits, libration orbits around the \(L_1\) or \(L_2\) points of the Earth–Moon system, or to other similar cases with different values of the mass ratio.
KeywordsTransfer orbits Libration point orbits Invariant manifolds Lunar orbits
Y. C. thanks the support of Doctorate Foundation of Northwestern Polytechnical University and the Chinese Scholarship Council during her stay in Barcelona. G. G. thanks the Catalan Grant Government for the Grant 2014SGR1145, and MINECO-FEDER for the Grant MTM2013-41168-P. J. J. M. thanks MINECO-FEDER for the Grant MTM2015-65715-P and the Catalan Government for the Grant 2014SGR504. The authors would like to thank the referees for a careful reading of the manuscript and their valuable and useful comments.
- Cao, J., Hu, S., Huang, Y.: Orbit determination and analysis for chang’E-2 extended mission. Geomat. Inf. Sci. Wuhan Universe 38(9), 1029–1033 (2013)Google Scholar
- Escobal, P.R.: Methods of Astrodynamics. Wiley, London (1969)Google Scholar
- Gómez, G., Masdemont, J.J., Mondelo, J.-M.: Libration point orbits: a survey from the dynamical point of view. In: Gómez, G., Lo, M.W., Masdemont, J.J. (eds.) Proceedings of the Conference Libration Point Orbits and Applications, pp. 311–372. World Scientific (2003)Google Scholar
- Miller, J.K.: Lunar Transfer Trajectory Design and the Four Body Problem. 13th AAS/AIAA Space Flight Mechanics Meeting, Paper No. AAS 03-144 (2002)Google Scholar
- NASA: A Standardised Lunar Coordinate System for the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter and Lunar Datasets, LRO Project and LGCWG White Paper, Version 5. https://lunar.gsfc.nasa.gov/library/LunCoordWhitePaper-10-08.pdf (2008)
- Parker, J.S., Anderson, R.L.: Low-Energy Lunar Trajectory Design. Deep Space Communications and Navigation Series (DESCANSO) (2013)Google Scholar
- Peng, H., Wang, Y., Masdemont, J.J., Gómez, G.: Design and Analysis of Transfers from Lunar Polar Orbits to Sun–Earth Libration Point Orbit (2017)Google Scholar
- Roberts, C.E.: The SOHO mission \(L_1\) halo orbit recovery from the attitude control anomalies of 1998. In: Gómez, G., Lo, M.W., Masdemont, J.J. (eds.) Proceedings of the Conference Libration Point Orbits and Applications, pp. 171–218. World Scientific (2003)Google Scholar
- Szebehely, V.: Theory of Orbits. Academic Press, London (1967)Google Scholar