Catalytic Deoxygenation of Stearic Acid and Palmitic Acid in Semibatch Mode
- 814 Downloads
The deoxygenation experiments of different reactants, i.e., pure palmitic acid, stearic acid, and a technical grade stearic acid containing a mixture of 59% of palmitic and 40% of stearic acid were successfully performed over 4 wt% Pd/C mesoporous catalyst at 300 °C under 17 bar of 5% H2 in argon. The main product in catalytic deoxygenation of saturated fatty acids, C16 and C18, were aliphatic chain length hydrocarbons containing one less carbon than the corresponding acid. Additionally it was found that the deoxygenation rates of different reactant were independent on carbon chain length of its fatty acids.
KeywordsGreen diesel Deoxygenation Stearic acid Palmitic acid
This work is part of the activities at the Åbo Akademi University Process Chemistry Centre within the Finnish Centre of Excellence Program (2000–2011) appointed by the Academy of Finland. S. L. would like to acknowledge also the travel grant support by ARC Centre of Excellence for Functional Nanomaterials, University of Queensland, Australia and Johan Gadolin Scholarship Process Chemistry Centre Åbo Akademi University. The authors are grateful to Mr. S. Lindholm from Process Chemistry Centre, Åbo Akademi for performing ICP-OES measurements.
- 3.Addison K (2008) Oil yields and characteristic. Journey to forever http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield.html accessed 9 Jan 2009
- 13.Murzin DYu, Kubickova I, Snåre M, Mäki-Arvela P, Myllyoja J (2006) PCT International application WO2006-FI50031 20060116, p 21Google Scholar
- 15.Simakova I, Simakova O, Mäki-Arvela P, Simakov A, Estrada M, Murzin DYu (2009) Appl Catal A: Gen (accepted)Google Scholar
- 16.Simonov P, Troitskii S, Likholobov V (2000) Kinet Catal 41:255Google Scholar
- 17.Simakova I, Simakova O, Mäki-Arvela P, Murzin DYu (2008) Proceedings of the 3rd International symposium on carbon for catalysis, CarboCat III, Berlin, p 105Google Scholar