Application of Conjugated Polymer–Platinum Group Metal Composites as Heterogeneous Catalysts
- 128 Downloads
Composites of polyaniline (PANI) or polypyrrole (PPy) doped with chloride ions and Pt or Rh particles were prepared by chemical reduction of metal ions conducted in the presence of the polymers. Based on X-ray diffraction studies it was established that the composites contained metal nanoparticles (5–9 in size). However, according to SEM investigations metal particles were agglomerated (40 nm–1.1 μm in size). Redox activity of the composites in the catalytic isopropyl alcohol conversion was ca. ten times higher than the acid–base one. Pt dispersed in polymer matrices showed higher catalytic activity than Rh. PPy doped with chloride ions had a promoting effect on the activity of Pt catalysts.
KeywordsPlatinum Rhodium Polyaniline Polypyrrole Isopropyl alcohol conversion
XPS measurements have been performed in the Surface Spectroscopy Laboratory at the Department of Materials Science and Ceramics of AGH-University of Science and Technology in Krakow (Poland).
- 1.Shirakawa H, Lewis EJ, MacDiarmid AG, Chiang CK, Heeger AJ (1977) J Chem Soc Chem Commun 578Google Scholar
- 8.Laborde H, Léger J-M, Lamy C (1994) J Appl Electrochem 24:219Google Scholar
- 19.Elizarova GL, Matvenko LG (1970) Zh Anal Khim 25:301Google Scholar
- 20.Berg EW, Youmans HL (1961) Anal Chim Acta 22:231Google Scholar
- 21.NIST Standard Reference Database 20, Version 3.5 (Web Version), released August 2003 (www.nist.gov)
- 26.JCPDS–International Centre for Diffraction Data, database 2002 (www.icdd.com), files: 05-0685 (Rh) and 04-0802 (Pt)