Spatially-Resolved Calorimetry: Using IR Thermography to Measure Temperature and Trapped NOX Distributions on a NOX Adsorber Catalyst
- 132 Downloads
Spatial- and time-resolved temperature distributions over a Pt/Ba/Al2O3 model NOX storage/reduction (NSR) catalyst were measured using infra-red thermography. The heat generated during regeneration was correlated to surface nitrate reduction, thereby revealing the concentration of surface nitrates at specific locations along the catalyst. The results demonstrate that there is more nitrate formation at upstream positions relative to downstream, or from front to back of the catalyst, with short trapping times. However, as more NOX was trapped on the catalyst during longer trapping times, it was found that the largest amount of NOX was trapped slightly downstream of the inlet, evolving to a local maximum in amount trapped. Applying infrared (IR) thermography to this system resulted in a spatially resolved calorimetry method via the correlation of temperature to the distribution of sorbed nitrate species along the catalyst.
KeywordsNOX storage NOX reduction Lean NOX traps Infra-red thermography Vehicle emissions Spatially resolved calorimetry
The authors would like to thank the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada and Cummins Inc. for funding of this work. We would also like to thank Johnson Matthey for supplying the samples used in this study.
- 1.Miyoshi N, Matsumoto S, Katoh K, Tanaka T, Harada J, Takahashi N, Yokota K, Sgiura M, Kasahara K, SAE Technical Paper Series 950809Google Scholar
- 3.Brogan M, Brisley R, Walker A, Webster D, Boegner W, Fekete N, Kramer M, Krutzsch B, Voigtlander D, SAE Technical Paper Series 952490Google Scholar
- 5.Huff S, West B, Parks J, Swartz M, Green J, Graves R, SAE Technical Paper Series 2006-01-1416Google Scholar
- 6.West B, Huff S, Parks J, Lewis S, Choi JS, Partridge W, Storey J, SAE Technical Paper Series 2004-01-3023Google Scholar
- 7.Partridge W, Storey J, Smithwick R, Devault G, Cunningham M, Currier N, Yonushonis T, SAE Technical Paper Series 2000-01-2952Google Scholar
- 8.Kong Y, Crane S, Patel P, Taylor B, SAE Technical Paper Series 2004-01-0582Google Scholar
- 12.Theis J, Ura J, Goralski C, Jen H, Thanasiu E, Graves Y, Takami A, Yamada H, Miyoshi S, SAE Technical Paper Series 2003-01-1160Google Scholar
- 20.Kobayashi T, Yamada T, Kayano K, SAE Technical Paper Series 970745Google Scholar
- 25.Kromer BR, Cao L, Cumaranatunge L, Mulla SS, Ratts JL, Yezerets A, Currier NW, Ribeiro FH, Delgass N, Caruthers JM, accepted for publication in Catal TodayGoogle Scholar