Tissue and blood establishments: the demise of mad hatters in a decade
- 13 Downloads
The EU Directives for human tissues and cells (Directive 2004/23/EC) and for blood and blood components (Directive 2002/98/EC, with their related Directives), promotes the principle to minimise or remove potential sources of contamination (e.g. foreign particles, microorganisms, processing agents). Under this framework, mercury thermometers are of interest; as these devices present potential hazards through their use in preparation processes (for the verification of temperature criteria) or temperature monitoring systems (for the preservation of materials and reagents). This article outlines the potential hazards of mercury thermometers, the current available alternatives and the initiatives for the decline of mercury usage.
KeywordsThermometers Mercury Contamination Growth inhibition Environment risk Medical device Internal audits Health and safety
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The author declares that there is no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by the author.
- Ban on the sale of mercury measuring instruments (2007). http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//TEXT+IM-PRESS+20070706IPR08897+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN. Accessed March 2018
- Com 2005, 20 final, Community strategy concerning mercury (2005). http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:52005DC0020. Accessed March 2018
- Directive 2002/98/EC of the European Parliament and the Council of 27 January 2003 setting standards of quality and safety for the collection, testing, processing, storage and distribution of human blood and blood components and amendingGoogle Scholar
- Directive 2004/23/EC of the European Parliament and the Council of 31st March 2004 on setting the standards of quality and safety for the donation procurement, testing, processing, preservation, storage and distribution of human tissues and cells. O.J.E.C, L102/48, 07/04/2004Google Scholar
- Mercury - aligning EU legislation with Minamata convention. http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/BRIE/2017/595887/EPRS_BRI(2017)595887_EN.pdf. Accessed March 2018
- European Parliamentary Service (2017). http://www.europarl.europa.eu/EPRS/EPRS-AaG-599309-Mercury-FINAL.pdf. Accessed March 2018
- Health and Safety at Work Act, 1974. http://www.hse.gov.uk/legislation/hswa.htm. Accessed March 2018
- ISO9001 & ISO19011, British Standards Institute, London, United Kingdom. https://www.bsigroup.com/en-GB/standards/. Accessed March 2018
- Lewis Carroll (1865) Alice’s adventures in Wonderland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice%27s_Adventures_in_Wonderland. Accessed March 2018
- Minimata Convention on Mercury (2013). http://www.mercuryconvention.org/Portals/11/documents/conventionText/Minamata%20Convention%20on%20Mercury_e.pdf. Accessed March 2018
- Regulation (EU) 2017/852. http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/BRIE/2017/595887/EPRS_BRI(2017)595887_EN.pdf. Accessed March 2018
- World Health Organisation (2011) Guidance on the replacement of mercury thermometers and sphygmomanometers in health care. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/44592/1/9789241548182_eng.pdf. Accessed March 2018