Validating a Low Dose Gamma Irradiation Process for Sterilizing Allografts Using ISO 11137 Method 2B
- 196 Downloads
This paper describes the validation of an allograft sterilization method specifically designed for the processing methods used at AlloSource in Centennial, CO. The methods used for this validation followed ISO Standard 11137, Method 2B. Three hundred allografts, collected from three defined production batches were dosed using a series of five incremental doses, beginning at 1 kGy and increasing by 1 kGy until 5 kGy was achieved. Following sterilization dosing, each allograft test article was analyzed using a sterility test to identify any viable microorganisms. The number of positive sterility samples was used to calculate the verification dose (1.27 kGy), which was then verified by an additional batch of 100 allografts. The results from this validation indicate that sterility (10−6 SAL) on human allograft tissue using gamma 60Co radiation can be achieved when a dose of at least 9.2 kGy is employed.
KeywordsAllograft tissue Bioburden Gamma 60Co radiation Sterility assurance level Sterilization dose Validation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andersen M.J., Keyak J.H. and Skinner H.B. 1992. Compressive mechanical properties of human cancellous bone after gamma irradiation. J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 74: 747–752.Erratum in: J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 1992 74(8): 1274.Google Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention2003Invasive Streptococcus pyogenes after allograft implantation – ColoradoMMWR5211731176Google Scholar
- Currery, J.D., Foreman, J., Laketic, I., et al. 1997Effects of ionizing radiation on the mechanical properties of human boneJ. Orthop. Res.15111117Google Scholar
- Godette, G.A., Kopta, J.A., Egle, D.M. 1996Biomechanical effects of gamma irradiation on fresh frozen allografts in vivoOrthopaedics19649653Google Scholar
- Hartill C., Lennox A. and Arola T. 2003. New Technologies in Tissue Banking: How FDA and Industry are Addressing Patient Safety. Regulatory Affairs Focus. Novemeber13–17.Google Scholar
- Ronholdt, C.J., Bogdansky, S. 2005
Determination of microbial bioburden levels on pre-processed allograft tissuesKennedy, J.F.Phillips, G.O.Williams, P.A. eds. Sterilisation of Tissues Using Ionising RadiationWoodhead Publishing LimitedCambridge England311318Google Scholar
- Ronholdt, C.J., Bogdansky, S., Baker, T.F. 2005
Establishing an appropriate terminal sterilisation dose based upon post-processing bioburden levels on allograft tissuesKennedy, J.F.Phillips, G.O.Williams, P.A. eds. Sterilisation of Tissues Using Ionising RadiationWoodhead Publishing LimitedCambridge England303309Google Scholar
- Woll J.E. and Kasprisin D.(eds), 2002. In: Standards for Tissue Banking. American Association of Tissue Banks.Google Scholar