Ximelagatran Compared with Warfarin for the Prevention of Systemic Embolism and Stroke. An Imputed Placebo Analysis
- 70 Downloads
The active control trials, SPORTIF III and SPORTIF V, compared the direct thrombin inhibitor ximelagatran to warfarin, where each was given as a treatment to prevent systemic embolism and stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation. Because warfarin has previously been compared to placebo in similar patients and ximelagatran has now been compared to warfarin, an indirect comparison between ximelagatran and placebo is possible (imputed placebo analysis).
In this analysis, ximelagatran reduces the risk of stroke and systemic embolism by 66% (hazard ratio 0.338; 95% confidence interval [CI] 0.204–0.560). Ximelagatran preserves 102% (95% CI 72–132%) of the benefit of warfarin.
Based on these data, ximelagatran may be an effective alternative to warfarin for the prevention of stroke and systemic embolism in high-risk patients with atrial fibrillation.
Key Wordsatrial fibrillation stroke embolism anticoagulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Stewart S, Hart CL, Hole DJ, McMurray JJV. A population-based study of the long-term risks associated with atrial fibrillation: 20-year follow-up of the Renfrew/Paisley study. Am J Med 2002;113(5):359–364.Google Scholar
- 2.Hasselblad V, Kong DF. Statistical methods for comparison to placebo in active-control trials. Drug Inf J 2001;35:435–449.Google Scholar
- 3.Laupacis A, Boysen G, Connolly S, et al. Risk-factors for stroke and efficacy of antithrombotic therapy in atrial-fibrillation—analysis of pooled data from 5 randomized controlled trials. Arch Int Med 1994;154(13):1449–1457.Google Scholar
- 4.Albers GW, Diener HC, Grind M, et al. Stroke prevention with the oral direct thrombin inhibitor ximelagatran compared with warfarin in patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation (SPORTIF III): randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2003;362(9397):1691–1698.Google Scholar
- 5.Hankey GJ, Klijn CJM, Eikelboom JW. Ximelagatran or warfarin for stroke prevention in patients with atrial fibrillation? Stroke 2004;35:389–391.Google Scholar
- 6.Verheught FW. Can we pull the plug on warfarin in atrial fibrillation? Lancet 2003;362:1686–1687.Google Scholar
- 7.Yusuf S, Peto R. Beta blockade during and after myocardial infarction. An overview of the randomised trials. Progress Cardiovasc Dis 1985;27(5):335–371.Google Scholar